Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KILDWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KILDWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KILDWICK, a parish and township in the E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Skipton, and 5 N.W. of Keighley. Leeds is its post town. It is situated on the river Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and is a station on the Midland railway. It contains the townships of Bradley, Cononley, Cowling, Farnhill, Glusburn, Silsden, Steeton, and Sutton. The land is chiefly pasture, and many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen mills and the spinning of yarn. There are also an iron foundry and forges for the manufacture of machinery. Freestone is extensively quarried. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1773. The living is a vicarage' with the curacies of Cononley and Sutton annexed, in the diocese of Ripon, value £357, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is of great antiquity, and has a square tower containing six bells. In the interior is a stained-glass E. window, also shields of stained glass of the Rycroft family. The oak roof is much admired. There is a monument of Robert de Styveton, a Knight Templar of the 14th century. In addition to the parish church, there are two district churches at Cowling and Silsden, the livings of both which are perpetual curacies varying in value from £121 to £150. The parochial charities produce £56 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Miss Currer is lady of the manor, and resides at Eshton Hall. Kildwick Hall has been in the possession of the Currer family for upwards of three centuries."


"BRADLEYS BOTH, (or Bradley, Lower and Upper), a township in the parish of Kildwick, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York 2 miles to the S. of Skipton."


"BRUNTHWAITE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Silsden, parish of Kildwick, and wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Keighley."


"CONONLEY, a township in the parish of Kildwick, eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S. of Skipton, its post town. It is a railway station on the Midland Extension line. The village is situated on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. It contains several worsted mills, and in the vicinity are lead-mines owned, by the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Kildwick, in the diocese of Ripon, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a National school, in which divine service is performed on Sundays."


"COWLING, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S.W. of Skipton, and 3 S.W. of Kildwick. It contains the hamlets of Cowling Hill and Ickornshaw. There are several cotton and worsted mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church, built in 1844, is a handsome structure. The charities amount to £17 per annum. R. Wainman, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"CRINGLES, a hamlet in the chapelry of Silsden, parish of Kildwick, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3½ miles S.W. of Skipton."


"EASBURN, a township united with Steeton, in the parish of Kildwick, West Riding of county York, 4 miles N.W. of Keighley. It is situated on the river Aire."


"EASTBURN WITH STEETON, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding, county York, 4 miles N.W. of Keighley."


"FARNHILL, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Skipton. The Liverpool and Leeds canal passes through the township, which is pleasantly situated on the E. side of Airedale. Lead is procured in this neighbourhood. Farnhill Hall, the principal residence, is a mansion of ancient date. The village consists chiefly of scattered houses, some of which adjoin the village of Kildwick. Previous to 1838 it formed part of Cononley."


"GLUSBURN, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Kildwick, and 5 W. of Keighley. It is situated on the river Aire, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the neighbourhood. The village of Crosshills is included in this township The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have a chapel. The inhabitants are partly employed in the manufacture of figured stuffs. There is a lead-mine in operation."


"ICKORNSHAW, a hamlet in the township of Cowling, and parish of Kildwick, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Keighley."


"SIGHELDEN, (or Silsden), a township and chapelry in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Skipton, 4 N.W. of Keighley, and within half a mile of the Silsden railway station. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of worsted and cotton goods, and in nail-making. The village is situated on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, near the river Aire. The township includes the hamlets of Sighelden Moor, Brunthwaite, and Cringle. A considerable portion of the land is moorland, part of which has recently been brought under cultivation. Coal of inferior quality is found, and there are quarries of excellent building-stone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £121. The church is dedicated to St. James, and was originally erected in 1711, but rebuilt in 1816 by the Earl of Thanet, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. The charities consist of 5 acres of land bequeathed by Thomas Townsend in 1683."


"STEETON WITH EASBURN, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 1 mile E. of Kildwick, its post town, and 3 miles N.W. of Keighley. It is a station on the Midland Extension railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated in a valley on the road from Keighley to Skipton. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the worsted and bobbin mills. Stone is quarried. The township is bounded on the N. by the river Aire, which is well stocked with trout. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"STIRTON WITH THORLBY, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Skipton. It is situated near the Leeds and Liverpool canal and the river Aire. The township includes the hamlet of Holme Bridge."


"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Kildwick, and 4 miles N.W. of Keighley. It is situated on the river Aire, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton and worsted mills. There is a National school, at which Divine service is performed on Sundays. The Baptists have a chapel with a school attached."


"THORLBY, a hamlet in the parish of Kildwick, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Skipton. It is joined, with Stirton to form a township."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013