The history of the early years of the Church at Sutton-in-Craven has been related by Principal Blomfield. At the beginning of the nineteenth century we find Rev. John Walton sustaining the pastorate (1780-1807). His ministry was greatly blessed to the village, for he was a man of considerable ability and outstanding piety. Sutton did not invite his successor until 1812, when Rev. F. W. Dyer commenced a brief ministry; the chapel was restored at a cost of £18o, a sum which the Church at that time evidently regarded as a serious responsibility. Rev. Joseph Gaunt was ordained in 1818, remaining until 1826. Another period of seven years elapsed before the appointment of Rev. J. D. Marsh, whose engagement terminated in 1836. In 1837, Rev. Wm. Fawcett, a grandson of Dr. John Fawcett, commenced a ministry full of blessing to the Church. Having resigned in 1841, he resumed his work in 1843, and a new school building was opened.
In Lady Horsfall, of Glusburn, Sutton has still among its members a descendant of Dr. Fawcett; Lady Horsfall's grandfather, Mr. James Fawcett, being Dr. Fawcett's grandson. Mr. James Fawcett was baptised at Sutton by his brother, Rev. Wm. Fawcett, in 1838. Rev. Peter Scott succeeded to the pastorate in 1847, retiring in 1853, to be followed by Revs. J. Walcot (1854-7), and R. Wing (1860-1). In 1861, Rev. W. E. Archer accepted the invitation of the Church, and in 1865 the chapel was rebuilt and enlarged, the cost amounting to 3300. Mr. Archer retired in 1883, and in the following year Rev. John Aldis, junr., succeeded him. During the seven years of Mr. Aldis's continuance, the present school premises were erected and chapel alterations made, on which £5770 was expended. The present pastor, Rev. F. W. Pollard, began his ministry at Sutton on March 6th, 1892. In 1904-5 the manse and the caretaker's house were erected, and last year the bi-centenary of the Church was celebrated by the general renovation of its entire premises.
In 1875, the Church undertook mission work at Glusburn, organising a Sunday school and preaching services. Mr. Horsfall—now Sir J. C. Horsfall, Bart.—realising the needs of Glusburn, erected the splendid pile of buildings known as "The Institute." Upon its opening, in 1892, the lecture hall, with certain classrooms, was placed at the disposal of the Mission. In 1904, Rev. G. Armitt was invited to the co-pastorate of Sutton with charge of Glusburn, in which offices he remained for three years, to be succeeded, in 1908, by Rev. E. Smith. Sutton is a splendid example of Non-conformist continuity, and of the possibilities of progress when a Baptist Church is supported by a faithful succession of workers, and encouraged by a large-hearted generosity.