NORTH DEIGHTON, in the parish of Kirk Deighton, upper division of Claro; (the seat of John Brewin, Esq.) 2 miles NW. of Wetherby, 4½ from Knaresborough. Pop. 141.
Here is a School for the poor people of North and Kirk Deighton, 10 from each, endowed by the Will of Sir Hugh Pallisar, dated Jan. 24, 1791, with one thousand pounds South Sea Annuities.
At North Deighton, on the estate of Sir William Ingilby, Bart. in a very large tumulus, the base of which is nearly 500 feet in circumference, and the height of the slope about 70 feet; on the top is a flat area, 27 feet long, by 13 broad. About a quarter of a mile from hence is another tumulus, the foundation of which appears to have been laid with large unhewn stones; a custom peculiar to the Danes. There were some other tumuli in the neighbourhood, of which now no vestige remains, except their names, which are still retained in the fields, where they stood; viz. Peesbury Hill, Maunberry Hill, Ingmanthorp Hill, and Ingbarrow Hill. On viewing the circumjacent country, it is manifest that no situation could be more peculiarly adapted for the meeting of hostile armies. At what time any such conflict happened, or who were the contending nations, does not appear; yet it may probably have been one of those many engagements which happened in this neighbourhood during the Saxon heptarchy. The Danes obtained a complete victory over the Saxons and Scots, not far from the river Ouse, in the year 1010. --Hist. Knaresborough.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]