"KIRK HAMMERTON, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Upper Claro, West Riding county York, and partly in the Ainsty of the city of York, 1 mile S. of Green Hammerton, and 7 miles W.N.W. of York, 7 miles N.E. of Wetherby, and 8 E. of Knaresborough. It is situated on the river Nidd, over which is a bridge of three arches, called Skip Bridge, about a mile from the village. It is also situated on the North-Eastern railway, which has two stations in the parish. The parish contains the townships of Kirk-Hammerton and Wilstrop, and is well wooded. The land is chiefly arable and the soil rich. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £148. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a square tower, containing two bells, and was enlarged in 1835. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, and a parochial school for both sexes. Colonel Thompson is lord of the manor. The charities produce about £6 10s. per annum."