"KIRK SANDAL, (or Little), a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Doncaster. The village, of small extent, is situated on the E. bank of the Don, and the Don canal passes through the parish. The parish contains the hamlets of Streetthorpe and Trumpfleet. The surface is undulating and well wooded and the soil is sandy, and the land chiefly arable. The principal residences are Sandal Hall, and Sandal Grange. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1806. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £400, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald with a tower containing one bell. It contains a monument to John Rokeby, Archbishop of Dublin, who was a native of this parish. There is a free grammar school founded in 1626 by the Rev. George Wood, who endowed it with land now producing £80 per annum."
"STREETTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirk Sandal, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Doncaster."
"TRUMPFLEET, a hamlet in the parish of Kirk Sandal, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Doncaster, on the river Don."