Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRKBURTON, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Cumberworth- Half,' the townships of' Cartworth, Foulston,. Hepworth, Kirkburton, Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, and Wooldale, and containing 13,559 inhabitants, of which number, 2153 are in the township oif Kirkburton, 5 miles S.E. from Huddersfield. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was built in the reign of Edward III. There is a place, of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A small sum is annually paid by the parishioners to the vicar of Dewsbury, in token of their ancient dependence on that parish. A school, established by the inhabitants in 1714, was endowed, in 1721, by the Rev. Henry Robinson, with a bequest of £ 100 for the instruction of ten poor children of this township, and three of Thurstonland; and,- in the following year, with a bequest of £360, for teaching twenty more of the same places: these sums having been invested in land, produce about £66 per annum, which is paid to the master. It is thought that the Saxons had a fort here, a memorial of which probably subsists in a small dike called the Old Saxe."


"CARTWORTH, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 7?%miles S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 1211 inhabitants. There are fulling and scribbling mills, and the manufacture of woollen goods is carried on to a considerable extent."


"CUMBERWORTH, a chapelry partly in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, but chiefly in the parish of SILKSTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.E. from Huddersfield, containing, with the township of Skelmanthorpe, 2451 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Here are several manufacturers ©f fancy goods. There is a small endowment for a school."


"FOULSTON, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG West riding of the county of YORK,%?f miles S.S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 1264 inhabitants."


"HEPWORTH, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 1048 inhabitants. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"HOLMEFIRTH, a chapelry in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S. from Huddersfield. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkburton. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists."


"SHELLEY, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 1329 inhabitants. There are places of worship for Independents andWesleyan Methodists."


"SHEPLEY, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 1000 inhabitants."


"THURSTONLAND, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, &% miles S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 989 inhabitants. There is a place of worship forWesleyan Methodists."


"WOOLDALE, a township in the parish of KIRKBURTON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.E. from Huddersfield, containing 3445 inhabitants. Here are fulling and scribbling mills, and an extensive manufacture of woollen cloth. A school was built by means;of a legacy, aided by subscriptions, about fifty years ago, on part of the waste given by the Duke of Leeds, and a house for the master was erected, also by subscription, in 1821: about forty children are instructed, who pay small quarterages."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]