Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKBURTON, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Huddersfield, its post town. The Huddersfield branch of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway crosses the parish, with stations at Shepley and Stocksmoor, in Thurstonland, two of its townships. The parish, which touches the confines of Cheshire, is considerable and contains the townships of Hepworth, Shepley, and Thurstonland, comprising a total area of 15,990 acres. It includes the chapelries of Hepworth, Holmfirth, Newmill, Shepley, and Thurstonland, with the townships of Cartworth, Cumberworth-Half, Foulston, Shelley, and Wooldale, in the last of which is the populous village of Holmfirth. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen and fancy goods manufacture, which are extensively carried on. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Hepworth annexed, in the diocese of Ripon, value £301, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The parish church, which was founded in the reign of Edward III. in the 13th century, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a tower containing six bells. In addition to the parish church there are four district churches at Holmfirth, Newmill, Shepley, and Thurstonland, the livings of which are perpetual curacies* and curacies*, in the patronage of the vicar of Kirkburton. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, with Sunday-school attached; there are National schools for both sexes, also a mechanics' institute. There are several charities for the poor. Fairs are held on the last Monday in April and October for cattle."


"BARNSIDE, a hamlet in the township of Hepworth, and parish of Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S. of Huddersfield. It is near the border of Cheshire."


"CARTWORTH, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the S. of Huddersfield. Many of the workpeople are employed in the woollen manufactories."


"CUMBERWORTH HALF, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in manufactures."


"DOGBY LANE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"FOOLSTONE, (or Fulstone), a township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. It includes the hamlet of Newmill, where are beds of coal. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on. Christ Church in this hamlet is a district church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar of the parish. There is a National school for both sexes."


"FOSTER PLACE, a hamlet in the township of Hepworth and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"GREEN GROVE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"HEPWORTH, a village and township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 7½ miles S. of Huddersfield, its post town, 5 S.W. of Kirkburton, and 2 S.E. of Holmfirth. The village is situated on a declivity near the rising moorlands whence the rivers Don and Holme take their rise. In 1858 an iron-foundry was erected here. There are some coal-pits, and the ironstone produced is of excellent quality. This township comprises the hamlets of Barnside, Foster-Place, and Meal-Hill. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Kirkburton, in the diocese of Ripon. Divine service is performed in the church schoolroom, erected in 1852. There is a school for children of both sexes, with an endowment of £24 per annum, for which five of the scholars are educated free. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are places of worship for the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists."


"HIGH BURTON, a village in the parish of Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"LINFIT, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"MEAL HILL, a hamlet in the township of Hepworth, parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the coal-pits and in agriculture."


"NEW MILL, an ecclesiastical district in the townships of Foolstone and Wooldale, parish of Kirkburton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the road from Huddersfield to Sheffield. The living is a perpetual curacy; in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church, which has a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, was erected in 1830, at an expense of £4,000, by the parliamentary commissioners. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There are National and infant schools."


"ROYDHOUSE, a hamlet in the township of Shelley and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"SCHOLES, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 5 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"SCISSETT, an ecclesiastical district in the township of Cumberworth, and parishes of Emley, Kirkburton, and Silkstone, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Penistone, and 8 S.E. of Huddersfield. It is a populous district, containing in 1861 about 3,131 inhabitants, and includes the hamlet of Skelmanthorpe. There are several worsted and woollen mills for making fancy cloths, worsted damasks, and other fancy stuffs. The water, from its purity and softness, is considered peculiarly adapted for preparation of the raw materials. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £133. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has a square embattled tower, and was erected in 1839 at an expense of £2,000. There are National schools."


"SHELLEY, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, and 6 N.W. of Penistone. The village, which is large, is situated on an eminence near the source of the river Dearne, and is within easy access of the Shepley station on the Sheffield and Huddersfield railway. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the woollen mills. There is an endowed National school. The Independents, Baptists, and New Connexion Methodists have each a place of worship. The township includes the hamlets of Roydhouse, Thunderbridge, and Woodhouse."


"SHEPLEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Peniston. It is a station on the Sheffield and Huddersfield railway. The village is situated in a valley near the mouth of the river Dearne. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the woollen mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church is dedicated to St. Paul, and was erected in 1848. There is a British and Foreign school, in which a Sunday school is also held. The Methodist New Connexion have a place of worship. Sir J. Radcliffe is lord of the manor."


"SPRING GROVE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"THUNDERBRIDGE, a hamlet in the township of Shelley and parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."


"THURSTONLAND, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, its post town and 2½ from Holmfirth. The village, which is considerable, is situated on an eminence near the Stocks Moor station of the Sheffield and Huddersfield railway. There are several collieries and stone quarries. Weaving is carried on. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Ripon. The church, erected in 1810, was, until 1834, used by the Dissenters. There are National schools for both sexes, and a Sunday-school, endowed with an annuity of £35. Many Roman coins of the Lower Empire were discovered here in 1838."


"WOODHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkburton, Upper Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, and 7 N. W. of Penistone. It is situated near the river Dearne and the Shepley station of the Sheffield and Huddersfield railway."


"WOOLDALE, a township in the parish of Kirkburton, West Riding county York, 5 miles S. of Huddersfield. In 1861 the population was 5,322. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on extensively, and there are numerous fulling mills on the river Colne. The township includes, besides part of the large and populous town of Holmfirth, the hamlets of Lydgate, Totties, and Scholes. Wooldale is in the graveship of Holme. S. W. L. Fox, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013