GENUKI Home page    Kirkburton Parish Kirkburton
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Kirkburton:


"ARRUNDEN, (or Harrunden) a hamlet in the township of Cartworth, and parish of Kirkburton; 7 miles from Huddersfield."


"BARNSIDE, 4 farm-houses in the township of Hepworth, and parish of Kirk Burton; 6 miles W. of Penistone."


"CARTWORTH, in the parish of Kirk Burton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles from Huddersfield, 17 from Wakefield. Pop. 1,211."


"FULSTONE, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles from Huddersfield, 8½ from Penistone. Fairs, Monday before Feb. 28, and first Wednesday after Nov. 14. Pop. 1,264."


"GREENSIDE, 2 houses in the township of Thurstonland, and parish of Kirkburton; 5 miles from Huddersfield."


"HADDINGLEY, farm-houses in the township of Shelley, and parish of Kirkburton, 9 miles SE. of Huddersfield and 9 from Penistone."


"HARDINGLEY, a farm-house in the township of Shelley, and parish of Kirkburton; 9 miles SE. of Huddersfield."


"HEPWORTH, a township, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6½ miles S. of Huddersfield, 7 from Penistone. Pop. 1,048."


"HIGHBURTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirk Burton, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles SE. of Huddersfield."


"HOLMFIRTH, in the township of Wooldale, and parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles S. of Huddersfield, 8 from Penistone. Fair, October 30, for horned cattle. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy under Kirkburton, value, p.r. £123. 2s.

This is the only Chapel in the parish of Kirkburton, of the antiquity of which there is nothing known certain, but it was probably erected in the reign of Edward IV. --Whitaker."


"LANE HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Shepley and parish of Kirkburton; 5 miles NW. of Penistone, 8 from Huddersfield."


"LINFIT LANE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton; 4¾ miles ESE. of Huddersfield, 8 from Wakefield."


"MAYTHORN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton; 6 miles NW. of Penistone."


"MELTHAM HOUSE, a hamlet in the township of Fulstone and parish of Kirkburton, 3½ miles SW. of Kirkburton, 5¾ miles S. of Huddersfield."


"NETHER SHEPLEY, in the township of Shepley, and parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6½ miles from Penistone and Huddersfield."


"NEW MILL, in the parish of Kirkburton. See Pigot's 1834 for information on this village."


"ROYD HOUSE, a hamlet in the township of Shelley, and parish of Kirkburton, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles SE. of Huddersfield."


"SCHOLES, a hamlet in the township of Wooldale, and parish of Kirkburton, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles from Huddersfield."


"SCHOLES CAVE, in the parish of Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, and manor of Wakefield; 6 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"SHELLEY, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles SE. of Huddersfield, 7½ from Penistone. Pop. 1,329."


"SHELLEY HILL TOP, 3 or 4 h. in the township of Shelley, and parish of Kirkburton; 6½ miles E. of Huddersfield."


"SHEPLEY, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles NW. of Penistone, 7½ from Huddersfield. Pop. 1000."


"STORTHES HALL, (the seat of Charles Horsfall Bill, Esq.) in the township, of Thurstonland, and parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley; 5½ miles E. of Huddersfield."


"THORNCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkburton; 6 miles SE. of Huddersfield, 8½ from Wakefield."


"THURSTONLAND, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles SSE. of Huddersfield. Pop. 989."


"THUSKIN HOLES, a single house in the township of Hepworth, and parish of Kirkburton; 8 miles SSE. of Huddersfield, 8 from Penistone."


"TOTTIES, a hamlet in the township of Wooldale, and parish of Kirkburton; 7 miles S. of Huddersfield, 8½ from Penistone."


"TOWN END, in the township of Wooldale, and parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 6 miles S. of Huddersfield, 9 from Penistone."


"UPPER CUMBERWORTH, or Cumberworth Half, in the parishes of Kirk Burton and Emley, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5½ miles from Penistone, 8 from Huddersfield, 10 from Barnsley. Pop. 1,120. Here is a Chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas."


"WOOD ROW, a single house in the township of Shelley, and parish of Kirkburton; 6 miles SE. of Huddersfield."


"WOOLDALE, or WOLFSDALE, in the parish of Kirkburton, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6½ miles S. of Huddersfield, 8 from Penistone.

This place, like many others, very probably took its name from its abounding with wolves; which were once so numerous in this part of the kingdom, that they attacked and destroyed great numbers of the tame beasts of the villages. The inhabitants, finding all their efforts to destroy them in vain, petitioned King Athelston, beseeching him to grant them relief, by taking some effectual method to destroy those ferocious animals; for which service, they bound themselves, and their successors for ever, to give every year one thrave of corn, out of every carucate of land in the Bishopric of York. Their petition was granted, and buildings erected in many places, particularly in the woods and forests, for the reception of dogs and huntsmen; by whose means, those ravenous creatures were, in a little time, entirely extirpated. It is curious to remark, that the thrave of corn, given out of every carucate of land, was afterwards given by government, to the Cathedral of York; and is, to this day, called Peter Corn."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016