[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"KIRKBY MALHAMDALE, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles E. of Settle, (by the Post Road, 11 miles,) 9 from Skipton, 10 from Kettlewell, 11 from Gisburn, 50 from York. Pop. 204. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, £6. 13s. 4d. p.r. !£43. 10s. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire." (There is further information for Kirkby Malhamdale).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
Monumental Inscriptions: Current memorials are recorded in a manuscript card index kept in the Parish Church, early records of stained glass and Arms are recorded by Roger Dodsworth in Yorkshire Church Notes 1619-31, editor JW Clay, published 1904 by YAS (Record Series Vol.34).
The Keighley FHS have published the transcribed and updated the card index of monumental inscriptions produced by the Malhamdale Local History Group.
The former Wesleyan Church, Scosthrop, still stands at the T junction with the Settle Road in Scosthrop and was built in 1835. It was converted to two houses when it was replaced by the Airton Weslyan chapel erected in 1897.
David Tippey has compiled an article on the history of St. Michael the Archangel's Church, Kirkby Malham. It is published here with the permission of the Church Parochial Council and the Vicar. This contains 2 more photographs of the Church, and various drawings.
Other Malhamdale Churches:
The Dale also contains two Methodist chapels, one at Airton (see photo above) erected in 1897, replacing an earlier, smaller chapel and one at Malham, erected in 1865.
There is a Quaker Meeting House and burial ground in Airton. The Scalehouse Meeting was founded by 1669 as part of the Settle Monthly Meeting, being renamed Airton Meeting in the 17th or 18th century. It then transferred to the Brighouse Monthly Meeting in 1853 and closed in 1922, but reopened in 1943 and closed yet again in 1948. The Meeting house dated 1696 is still used occasionally, as is the Burial ground. Some records are lodged at the Public Record Office and the Brotherton Library at Leeds University.
Some early registers were stolen in 1970s, perhaps because they contained Oliver Cromwell's signature or the thieves believed the safe contained the church silver, now housed safely in York Minster. Fortunately many of the early records had been transcribed by the Yorkshire Parish Record Society, and an earlier incumbent (Cookson) had also created a manuscript index which covers all the entries, but of course this doesn't include much additional detail that may have been gleaned from the original registers. Coverage of this period can also be found in the Bishop's Transcripts held by the Borthwick Institute in York.
Searchable Index to the Parish registers 1597-1813 of St Michael the Archangel, created from the Cookson Index, IGI and the 18th century Bishop's Transcripts, providing a useful finding aid and the most comprehensive set of data available for the 18th century, covering the period of the stolen registers.
Deposited typed transcripts are at North Yorkshire County Record Office, Northallerton:
The Cookson Index of register entries, 1597 - 1811
(NB. This index contains errors and incorrect assumptions and should only be used as a finding aid, use the BTs held at the Borthwick which arealso available on film from the LDS to cover the time period of the stolen registers.)
Burials: 1813 - 1862
Stolen Original Registers:
Chr/Marr/Bur: 1597-1653, 1653-1692
[There were few entries 1644-46 due to "negligence", no Burial or Marriage entries in 1686 or any entries at all from 1687-91 (Rev Serjeantson)]
Deposited Original Registers: are at North Yorkshire County Record Office, Northallerton. Some are available to view on microfilms : MIC485/486
Baptism sponsors: 1850-56
Original Registers still held at the Parish Church:
Christenings: 1961 - date
Banns: 1940 - date
Marriages: 1920 -date
Burials: 1937 - date
Bishop's Transcripts are mainly lodged at the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research, York.
Chr/Bur: 1848-69 (deposited at the West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds)
Other Records and copies
Chr:Marr:Bur: 1597-1690 A printed transcription was published by Yorkshire Parish Record Society in 1938; and later published on fiche by the Yorkshire Archeological Society, Leeds.
Index to Chr/Marr/Bur: 1597-1816 The manuscript index created by Rev E Cookson circa 1914, has two original copies lodged at Bradford and Leeds Libraries and is included on the microfilm of original registers produced by NYCRO.
Baptism sponsors: 1850-56 (included on the NYCRO microfilms MIC 485/6)
Marriages: 1607-1837 (Boyd's Marriage Index. Copy at York Library)
PR Extracts included in the IGI and familysearch .org : Chr/Marr: 1592-1690 presumably taken from the published transcript and Chr: 1683-1846, Marr: 1683-1837 extracted from BTs.