Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBY MALHAMDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBY MALHAMDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKBY MALHAMDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Settle, and 10 S.E. of Skipton. Leeds is its post town. It is situated on the river Aire, and contains the townships of Hanlith, Malham, Malham Moor, Otterburn, and Scosthrop. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton mills. The soil is clayey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £148. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce £115 per annum, £21 of which goes to Topham's free grammar school, in the schoolroom of which is also held a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have chapels at Malham and Scosthrop. Walter Morrison, Esq., is lord of the manor. Fairs are held on the 30th June and 15th October at Malham for cattle."


"AIRTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, in the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.E. of Settle. It is situated on the river Aire. The twist manufacture is carried on here. There is an endowed free school. The township contains about 2,790 acres."


"CALTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.W. of Skipton. It is on the E. bank of the Aire, near the north-western branch of the Midland railway. There is a small endowed school in the village. Lambert, the parliamentary general in the Civil War, was born at Calton in 1619."


"HANLITH, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Settle. There is no village, only a few farmhouses."


"MALHAM, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Settle. It is a small village situated in the fertile vale of Malham-Dale, chiefly the property of Lord Ribblesdale, who is lord of the manor. At the head of the Dale is Malham-Cove, a limestone ridge 286 feet in height, extending across the valley, which in rainy weather so pents up the waters of the rivulet that they rise to the summit of the ridge, and, rushing over, form a magnificent cataract. There are some lead mines, which, however, have not proved profitable in the working. Calamine and limestone of excellent quality also abound. The lands are chiefly pasture and meadow, the herbage being of the finest quality. In the village is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a free school, founded and endowed by Rowland Brayshaw in 1717. Near the village is Jennett's Cave, a dark and gloomy recess overhung with ivy. Fairs are held on the 30th June for lambs, and 15th October for-sheep."


"MALHAM MOOR, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Settle. It is situated near Malham, at the head of the river Aire, which rises in Malham Water, a lake well stocked with trout and perch. This lake, or tarn, as it is called, is about 1 mile in diameter, and formerly, with the adjoining lands, belonged to Fountains Abbey. On one side the waters force their way through some fissures in the rock, forming a cascade near 100 feet in height. The surface of this township is chiefly high moorland, affording tolerable pasturage for sheep. The principal residence is Tarn Hall, a mansion commanding views of the lake and its surrounding scenery."


"OTTERBURN, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, W. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Settle, and 3 from Kirkby-in-Malham. It is situated on the river Aire, and is a meet for the Craven hounds. The soil is rich and fertile, on a substratum of limestone."


"SCOSTHROP, (or Scosthorpe), a township in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, W. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Settle. The soil is fertile, and altogether in grass."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013