Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkby Malhamdale:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkby Malhamdale:


"AIRTON, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 6 miles SE. of Settle, 8 from Skipton, 12 from Kettlewell. Pop. 187."


"CALTON, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 7 miles NW. of Skipton, 8¾ from Settle, 12 from Kettlewell. Pop. 76.

This is a small village situated upon a hill, on the east banks of the Aire, consisting entirely of abbey land, which was shared between the houses of Fountains, Dereham, and Bolton; the last of which had the manor. It is chiefly memorable for the origin of Major General Lambert, who addicted himself to the cause of the rebellion in the last century but one, and bore, perhaps, a deeper part in the miseries of that unhappy period, than any single person, Cromwell only excepted. After the restoration, the decent and respectful behaviour which he maintained at his trial, procured for him the mild sentence of perpetual exile to Guernsey, where he amused himself with the quiet occupation of gardening, and died forgotten, almost thirty years after, having lost his faculties before the usual period of mental decay. But the mind of Lambert was a machine wasted first by friction, and then by rust. His forfeited estates ware granted to Lord Fauconberg, and by him restored to the family. --Whitaker's Craven."


"GORDALE SCAR, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale; 7 miles from Settle, 13 from Skipton:" (There is further information for Gordale Scar).


"HANLITH, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Hanlith Hall, a seat of Colonel Serjeantson) 6½ miles E. of Settle; 9½ from Skipton, 10½ from Kettlewell. Pop. 46.

Hanlith is situated on the east bank of the river Aire. The family of the Serjeantsons, who possess the principal property in the place, resided here at the commencement of the parish Register in 1597. --Whitaker's Craven."


"MALHAM, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles E. of Settle, 9 from Kettlewell, 12 from Skipton. Fairs, July 1, and Oct 15, for sheep. Pop. 262." (There is further information for Malham).


"MALHAM MOOR, a township, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5½ miles from Settle, 8½ from Kettlewell, 13½ from Skipton. Pop. 88."


"MALHAM WATER HOUSE, (a seat of Lord Ribblesdale) in the township of Malham Moor, and parish of Kirkby Malhamdale; 2 miles from Malham."


"OTTERBURN, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale; 8 miles SE. of Settle, 9 from Skipton."


"SCOSTHROP, in the parish of Kirkby Malhamdale, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 6 miles NE. of Settle, 8½ from Skipton, 11½ from Kettlewell. Pop. 102."


"SKELLANDS, a farm-house in the township of Scosthrop, and parish of Kirkby Malhamdale; 7 miles SE. of Settle, 9 from Skipton."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]