Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KIRKBY MALZEARD.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW.     Church type: Vicarage united to Masham.

Area, 53,530 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 4,707 ; Church-room, with Masham, 900; Net value, £384.

Roger de Mowbray, in the time of King Stephen, gave this Church to the Cathedral at York, and it was afterwards appropriated to the Prebendary of Massam, and a Vicarage was ordained Non. April 1278. On the dissolution of the Prebend of Massam, the advowson was given to Trinity College, Cambridge, which still has the patronage and impropriation.

Inclosure Acts were passed 20th and 27th Geo.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Poor's land, 7a. 3r. 23p. Chris. Brown's gift, by will, 14th March 1653. 20s. per annum.

John Ripley's charity. Rent of house and eight acres of land.

Margaret Ripley's gift, by will, 29th May 1712. 10s. per annum.

Lister's rent charge. 10s. per annum.

Elizabeth Walker's gift, by will, 16th August 1703. £6. 15s. per annum, of which four pounds is to be applied in apprenticing two poor boys.

John Holdsworth's charity, by will, 2nd September 1678. Rent of 8a. 2r. 25p.

Abraham Smith's gift. Interest of £6. 10s., in the hands of the Vicar.

Thos. Sutton's gift, 40s. per annum. Loadsman's dole, 10s. per annum. Greeveson's rent charge, 6s. per annum. Thirkell's gift, 5s. per annum.

George Day's rent charge, 6s. per annum.

John Hutchinson's rent charge, £2 per annum.

Sweaton rent charge, £1. 13s. 4d. per annum.

Laverton rent charge, £1 per annum. All the above are distributed among the poor not receiving parish relief.

Lost charity. £28, charity-money, was, in 1719, applied towards parish purposes, and £1. 8s. was paid to the poor out of the rates till 1801, when the payment was discontinued.

School. Founded by Gilbert Horseman, by will, 27th November 1640, and further endowed by Gregory Elsley, by will, 24th December 1716, and by William Elsley, by deed, in 1726. Twenty boys are taught reading, writing, arithmetic and the Church Catechism, and five are clothed. Endowment ; house and garth, and £10 per annum rents-charge. -Vide 4th Report, page 420.


References:
Torre's MS., page 937, (Composition as to Bramley Tithes, &c.). Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cherchebi), pages 10. 32, 33. 38. 84. 98. 101. 119. 129. 166. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 107.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.