Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkby Malzeard:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkby Malzeard:


"ANGRAM, a farm-house in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, 5 miles NE. of Kettlewell. (This house is now under Angram reservoir -CH)."


"ARMATHWAITE, (or Armenthwaite), a farm-house in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 7 miles E. of Kettlewell."


"ASHFOLD SIDE, (or Ashforth Side), in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, and wapentake of Claro; 3 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"AZERLEY, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; (the seat of Wm. Dawson, Esq.) 4 miles NW. of Ripon, 5½ from Masham, 15 from Knaresborough. Pop. 579."


"BECK MEETING, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro; 5½ miles SSW. of Masham.
Martin Hockey adds: Beck Meeting: at SE209731. On the modern OS map it is Beckmeetings Farm, but the The Place Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire, part 5, p.210 has a record of Beck Meeting (no s) from 1771."


"BECKMEETING, a farm-house in the township and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 5½ miles from Masham, 8 from Ripon,"


"BIGGIN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; (Biggin Grange, the seat of the Rev. J. Geldart) 5 miles from Masham."


"BOUTHWAITE, a hamlet in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 5 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"BRAISTY WOODS, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles S.W. of Pateley Bridge."


"BRAITHWAITE HALL, a farm-house in the township of Azerley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles from Ripon."


"BRIMHAM, a hamlet in the township of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles SE. of Pateley Bridge."


"BRIMHAM CRAGS, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles from Pateley Bridge." (There is further information for Brimham Crags).


"BURNT YATES, in the township of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 2½ miles W. of Ripley, 6¼ from Pateley Bridge, 7¾ from Knaresborough." (There is further information for Burnt Yates).


"CALSHAW, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro; 9 miles N W. of Pateley Bridge."


"CARLESMOOR, a hamlet in the township of Grewelthorpe, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 6½ miles SW. of Masham, 9 from Ripon."


"COLT HOUSES, 2 farm-houses in the township of Lower Stonebeck and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"COVILL HOUSES, (or Colville House) 3 farm-houses in the township of Fountain's Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"DALLOW HALL, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro; 8 miles S. of Masham."


"DALLOWGILL, a small valley in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro; 5½ miles S. of Masham."


"DOWGILL HALL, (or Dougill Hall) a farm-house in the township of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles NW. of Ripley,"


"EDGENOOK, public House, in the township of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"FOUNTAINS EARTH, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower division of Claro. Pop. 441. This township is situated on the north side of the river Nidd, and extends from the top of Nidderdale, down to Lofthouse."


"GALPHAY, in the township of Azerley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 4 miles W. of Ripon, 10 from Knaresborough and Pateley Bridge."


"GOUTHWAITE HALL, a farm-house in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge." (There is further information for Gouthwaite Hall).


"GOYDEN POT HOLE, (in Nidderdale) and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 10 miles from Pateley Bridge.

Goydon Pot Hole is a large Rock, into which the river Nidd enters, by an arch finely formed of beautifully white limestone, about nine feet high, and the span twelve broad; with a lighted candle a person may walk two or three hundred yards into it with safety. The river, after entering here, runs underground for about three miles."


"GRAYGARTH, or Grith, a hamlet in the township of Laverton, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles from Kirkby Malzeard."


"GREWELTHORPE, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles S. of Masham, 8 from Ripon. Pop. 527.

Oliver de Buscy gave half a carucate of land here, with all the men living thereon and followers, to the Monks of Fountains Abbey. --Burton."


"HACKFALL, in the township of Grewelthorpe, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower division of Claro; 3 miles S. of Masham, 8 from Ripon, 9 from Bedale." (There is further information for Hackfall).


"HARTWITH, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles W. of Pateley Bridge, 10 from Ripon, and Knaresborough. Pop. including Winsley, 675, which being united form a township. Here is a Chapel under Kirkby Malzeard, of which the Vicar is Patron, present value, £100.

Here is a School endowed by Robert Haxby, with an estate at Darley, but when established, not known; it is free only to the children of the tenants of three farms, formerly belonging to Robert Haxby, the founder, now the property of John Swires, Esq. The rent £29. per ann. is paid to the master. --Commissioners' Report."


"HEATHEN CARR, (or Haden Carr), 4 farm-houses in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 5 miles from Kettlewell. (These houses are now under Scar House reservoir)."


"HEATHFIELD, 2 farm-houses in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 2 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"HIGH DALLA, or Dalla Hole, a hamlet in the township of Laverton and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 8 miles from Masham and Ripon. It gives name to Narrow Gill, &c. west of Kirkby Malzeard, called Dallow Gill.
Martin Hockey adds: Dalla is an old form of Dallow (The Place Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire, part 5, p.212), which is at SE196714. I can't find a reference to High Dalla specifically."


"HOLME HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge. Martin Hockey adds: SE028403 was the location of Low Holme House, probably abandoned when Gouthwaite Reservoir was built (although not submerged). High Holme House was a little further north in 1890, but was rebuilt higher up and is now at SE133698."


"KEXMOOR, a hamlet in the township of Grewelthorpe, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, 2 miles from Kirkby Malzeard, 6 from Masham."


"LAVERTON, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles S. of Masham, 6½ from Ripon. Pop. 430."


"LIMLEY, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 10 miles SW. of Masham."


"LODGE, a hamlet in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 6 miles from Kettlewell."


"LOFTHOUSE, or Loftus, (in Nidderdale) in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 8 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge, 9 from Masham."


"LONGSIDE, a hamlet in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 6 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"LOW LAITHE, (or New Laithe) a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, and chapelry of Hartwith cum Winsley, 4 miles west of Ripley, near the river Nidd. (from the National Gazetteer 1868.)"


"MICKLEY, in the township of Azerley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower division of Claro; 5 miles S. of Masham, 6 from Ripon."


"MIDDLESMOOR, in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 9 miles from Pateley Bridge and Kettlewell, 10 miles SW. of Masham; 16 from Ripon." (There is further information for Middlesmoor).


"MOSS WOOD HOUSES, 2 farm-houses in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles NNW. of Pateley Bridge.
Martin Hockey adds: Moss Wood is at Grid Ref SE136696. Moss Wood Houses does not appear on the earliest OS maps, but it is recorded from 1771 in The Place Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire, part 5, p.205."


"NEW BRIDGE, a hamlet in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 2 miles N. of Pateley Bridge.
Martin Hockey adds: The 1890 OS map shows this at Grid Ref SE145677. The bridge itself is now known as Wath Bridge - there are no houses at the bridge now."


"NEW HOUSES, 3 farm-houses in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 10 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"NORTH SIDE HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 9 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"PUDDLE HOLE, a farm-house in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 9 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"RAMSGILL, in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge, 10 from Masham, 12 from Ripon." (There is further information for Ramsgill).


"REDMIRES, 2 farm-houses in the township of Grantley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 8 miles from Ripon."


"REGILL HOUSES, (or Raygill) 2 farm-houses in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, 5 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"RINGBECK, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 6 miles S. of Masham, 8 from Ripon."


"SIGSWORTH, 2 or 3 h. in the township of Fountain's Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 2½ miles N. of Pateley Bridge."


"SPRING HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Hartwith with Winsley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3½ miles W. of Ripley."


"STEAN, a hamlet in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 9 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge, 10 from Kettlewell."


"STONEBECK, (Up and Down) two townships, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; the former is on the north side of the river Nidd, containing 568 inhabitants; the latter on the South side, containing 361; commences about 5 miles from Pateley Bridge."


"STUDFOLD, a hamlet in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 6 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"SUMMERBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, and chapelry of Hartwith, 3 miles west of Ripley, near the river Nidd. (from the National Gazetteer 1868.)"


"SWETTON, 4 farm-houses in the township of Laverton, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 7 miles SSW. of Masham, 9½ from Ripon."


"SYKES, (or Sikes) 2 farm-houses in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 7 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge, 9 from Masham."


"THWAITE HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 9 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge."


"TROOP, a farm-house in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 9 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge and Masham.
Martin Hockey adds:An old spelling of Thrope, at Grid Ref SE102751. Ref The Place Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire, part 5, p.203."


"WARREN LANE, a hamlet in the township of Azerley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 5 miles from Masham, 7 from Ripon."


"WEST HOUSES, in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower division of Claro; 4 miles NE. of Kettlewell, 10 from Middleham, 13 from Pateley Bridge. (These houses are now under Angram Reservoir - CH)."


"WESTFIELD, a farm-house in the township of Azerley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, 6 miles NW. of Ripon and 6 from Masham."


"WINSLEY, in the township of Hartwith with Winsley, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles from Ripley, 6 from Pateley Bridge, 7 from Ripon. Pop. included in Hartwith."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]