Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBY OVERBLOW: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBY OVERBLOW: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKBY OVERBLOW, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Harrowgate, and 6 NW. of Wetherby, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on an eminence near the river Wharfe. The parish contains the townships of Kearby-with-Netherby, Kirkby-Overblow, Rigton, Sicklinghall, and the chapelry of Stainburn. The surface is elevated, and the lands in high cultivation. About two-thirds of the land is meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable. From the higher ground a view is obtained of the valley of Wharfdale. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £944. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was made collegiate in the early part of the 14th century. It is a spacious and venerable stone structure, with a square tower containing a clock and three bells. There is a chapel-of-ease at Stainburn. The charities produce about £28 per annum, of which £12 goes to the support of a free school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. H. J. Scott, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Earl of Harewood is chief landowner."


"BARROWBY, a village in the township of Kearby-with-Netherby, and parish of Kirkby-Overblow, in the wapentake of Upper Claro, West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the W. of Wetherby."


"BRACKENFOOT, (or Brackenthwaite), a hamlet in the township of Rigton, and parish of Kirkby Overblow, in the wapentake of Claro, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the W. of Wetherby."


"BRAYTHORNE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Stainburn, and parish of Kirkby Overblow, wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Otley."


"KEARBY, a township in the parish of Kirkby Overblow, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Kirkby Overblow, and 4 W. of Wetherby. There is a Wesleyan chapel."


"MOORSIDE, a hamlet in the township of Stainburn, parish of Kirkby Overblow, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Otley."


"NETHERBY, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Overblow, upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles S.W. of Wetherby. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and is in conjunction with Kearby. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."


"RIGTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Overblow, upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Otley. The village, which is wholly agricultural, is situated near the North-Eastern railway. It forms part of Knaresborough Honour, and includes the hamlet of Brackenfoot. There is a commodious school, also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor."


"SICKLINGHALL, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Overblow, upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Kirkby-Overblow, and 2½ W. of Wetherby, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. In 1852, a Roman Catholic church, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected at an outlay of about £8,000, defrayed by Peter Middleton, Esq., of Linton Springs. It has a groined roof and painted windows. Two wings have since been added to the building for a monastery called "Lys Marie," where young men are trained for the Roman Catholic priesthood. There is a parochial school for both sexes, which is supported by H. J. Scott, Esq., lord of the manor. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"SPACEY HOUSES, a hamlet in the township of Follifoot and Kirkby Overblow, parish of Kirkby Overblow, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Wetherby."


"STAINBURN, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Overblow, upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 4¼ miles N.E. of Otley, and 6 W. of Kirkby-Overblow. Wetherby is its post town. The township includes the hamlets of Braythorne and Moorside. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £66, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkby-Overblow. There is a chapel, also a parochial school for both sexes. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum."


"SWINDON, a hamlet in the parishes of Kirkby-Overblow and Pannal, wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 5½ miles S.W. of Wetherby. It is the property of the Earl of Harewood, who is lord of the manor."


"WALTON HEAD, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirkby Overblow, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Wetherby."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013