The Ancient Parish of KIRKBY MALHAMDALE
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2007]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"KIRKBY MALHAMDALE, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of
Staincliffe; 6 miles E. of Settle, (by the Post Road, 11 miles,) 9 from
Skipton, 10 from Kettlewell, 11 from Gisburn, 50 from York. Pop. 204. The
Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value,
£6. 13s. 4d. p.r. !£43. 10s. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire."
(There is further information for Kirkby Malhamdale).
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Gordale Scar
- Malham Moor
- Malham Water House
Unless otherwise stated, the following information was kindly supplied by David Tippey.
The Modern Parish of Kirkby Malhamdale.
The Modern Parish covers some 35 square miles and includes
the townships of Malham, Malham Moor, Kirkby Malham, Hanlith,
Scosthrop, Airton, Calton and Otterburn.
Coniston Cold, a new addition to the Parish, was originally
part of Gargrave Parish. The church of St Peter, Coniston Cold
being founded in 1840 was united with Kirkby Malham Parish in
Originally part of the the Diocese of York, the parish became
part of the Rural Deanery of Craven (1836), and since 1919 has
been a part of the Bradford Diocese.
The Parish lies in what was the Staincliffe and Ewcross Wapentakes
of the West Riding of Yorkshire (North Yorkshire since 1974) and
was included in the Settle Poor Law Union.
The adjoining Parishes are (from the North, clockwise) : Halton
Gill /Arncliffe, Rylstone (Originally part of Burnsall), Gargrave,
Long Preston, Settle (Originally Giggleswick), and Horton-in-Ribblesdale.
[David Tippey, 1999]
- Deeds and other Local Records
- Collections of material referring to Malhamdale can be found
in the collections held at the following Record Offices and libraries:
- North Yorkshire County Record Office, Northallerton
- West Yorkshire Archives, Leeds
- Yorkshire Archeological Society, Leeds
- Lancashire Record Office, Preston
- Nottinghamshire Archives, Nottingham
- West Yorkshire Record Office, Registry of Deeds, Wakefield
- Hampshire Record Office, Winchester
- Northumberland Record Office, Newcastle
- Skipton Library
- Brotherton Library, Leeds University
- Public Record Office
- Malhamdale Resources at Skipton Library
- Part of North Yorkshire County libraries, the Skipton branch
has quite a good local studies collection with various items
of Malhamdale interest. It is situated on Skipton High Street
- Adjoining Parish Record Transcripts mainly YPRS:
|Gargrave||1558 - 1812|
|Giggleswick||1558 - 1769.. 1558 - 1916 (on microfilm)|
|Long Preston (Baptist) : marriages||1854 - 1957 (microfiche)|
|Long Preston (Baptist) : burials||1854 - 1985|
|Kirkby Malham||1597 - 1690|
|Rylstone||1559 - 1812|
- 1841 - 91 on microfilm, with print facilities
- 1988 and 1992 editions for Yorkshire on fiche, with good print facilities
- Trade Directories
- Baines' Yorkshire Directory 1823 and collection of Craven Almanacs from 1880s - 1930s
- Collection of OS mapping in various scales.
- Wide selection of local books and a good set of Yorkshire Archeological Society publications.
- Extensive collection of local newspapers from the mid 19th
century, mainly on microfilm, with print facilities.
- Some old deeds from the Serjeantson family of Hanlith Hall.
Return to top of page
- "The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven" by
William Arthur Shuffrey MA
pub. by J Whitehead & Son, Leeds, 1914
- "The Craven and Northwest Yorkshire Highlands"
by Harry Speight
pub. Elliot Stock, London, 1892
- "English Surname Series : Yorkshire West Riding"
by George Redmonds
pub. by Phillimore & Co Ltd, London and Chichester, 1973
- "The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven
in the County of York"
by TD Whitaker
pub. Cassell, Petter & Galpin, London, 3rd edition 1878
- "A History of Airton Mill" by William Sharp
pub. privately, circa 1991
- "Malham and Malham Moor" by Dr Arthur Raistrick
pub. Dalesman Publishing Co., Clapham, 1947
- "Mines and Miners on Malham Moor" by Dr Arthur Raistrick
pub. George Kelsall, Littlebrough, 1983
- "The Story of St Michael the Archangel at Kirkby Malham"
by Rev. WRN Baron MA.
3rd edition pub. Kirkby Malham Church, 1989
- "The Parish of Kirkby Malhamdale" by John William Morkill
pub. John Bellows, Gloucester, 1933
- "The Serjeantsons of Hanlith" by Rev RM Serjeantson
pub. privately, circa 1911
- "Walter Morrison : A Millionaire at Malham Tarn"
by WR Mitchell
pub. Castleburgh Publications, circa 1990
- "Yorkshire Cotton" by Dr George Ingle
pub. Carnegie Publishing, Preston, 1997
- A more comprehensive bibliography of publications featuring the history of the parish of Kirkby Malham is maintained on
Return to top of page
- Monumental Inscriptions: Current memorials are recorded
in a manuscript card index kept in the Parish Church, early records
of stained glass and Arms are recorded by Roger Dodsworth in
Yorkshire Church Notes 1619-31, editor JW Clay, published 1904
by YAS (Record Series Vol.34).
- The Keighley FHS have published the transcribed and updated the card index of
monumental inscriptions produced by the Malhamdale Local History Group.
- A transciption of
Airton Quaker Burials 1669-2003 on the KirkbyMalham.info website.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
St. Michael's Church, Kirkby Malham (view 1).
St. Michael's Church, Kirkby Malham (view 2).
The former Wesleyan Church, Scosthrop, still stands at the T junction with the Settle Road in
Scosthrop and was built in 1835. It was converted to two houses when it
was replaced by the Airton Weslyan chapel erected in 1897.
The Methodist Church, Airton built in 1898 as a Wesleyan Chapel, - see above Scosthrop Chapel.
- David Tippey has compiled an article on the
history of St. Michael the Archangel's Church, Kirkby Malham. It is published
here with the permission of the Church Parochial Council and
the Vicar. This contains 2 more photographs of the Church, and
- Other Malhamdale Churches:
- The Dale also contains two Methodist chapels, one at Airton (see photo above)
erected in 1897, replacing an earlier, smaller chapel and one
at Malham, erected in 1865.
- There is a Quaker Meeting House and burial ground in Airton.
The Scalehouse Meeting was founded by 1669 as part of the Settle
Monthly Meeting, being renamed Airton Meeting in the 17th or
18th century. It then transferred to the Brighouse Monthly Meeting
in 1853 and closed in 1922, but reopened in 1943 and closed yet
again in 1948. The Meeting house dated 1696 is still used occasionally,
as is the Burial ground. Some records are lodged at the Public
Record Office and the Brotherton Library at Leeds University.
Places of worship in Malhamdale with pictures and brief details.
The Rev Baron's history of the church, 1926
- The following Churches have their own websites:
Return to top of page
- Original Registers
- Some early registers were stolen in 1970s, perhaps because
they contained Oliver Cromwell's signature or the thieves believed
the safe contained the church silver, now housed safely in York
Minster. Fortunately many of the early records had been transcribed
by the Yorkshire Parish Record Society, and an earlier incumbent (Cookson)
had also created a manuscript index which covers all the entries,
but of course this doesn't include much additional detail that
may have been gleaned from the original registers. Coverage of
this period can also be found in the Bishop's Transcripts held
by the Borthwick Institute in York.
Searchable Index to the Parish registers 1597-1813 of St Michael the
Archangel, created from the Cookson Index, IGI and the 18th century
Bishop's Transcripts, providing a useful finding aid and the most
comprehensive set of data available for the 18th century, covering
the period of the stolen registers.
Deposited typed transcripts are at North Yorkshire
County Record Office, Northallerton:
- The Cookson Index of register entries, 1597 - 1811
- (NB. This index contains errors and incorrect assumptions and should only
be used as a finding aid, use the BTs held at the Borthwick which arealso
available on film from the LDS to cover the time period of the stolen
- Burials: 1813 - 1862
- Marriages: 1754-1812
- Baptisms: 1813-1882
- Stolen Original Registers:
- Chr/Marr/Bur: 1597-1653, 1653-1692
- Chr/Bur: 1692-1773
- Marriages: 1692-1753
- [There were few entries 1644-46 due to "negligence",
no Burial or Marriage entries in 1686 or any entries at all from
1687-91 (Rev Serjeantson)]
Deposited Original Registers: are at North Yorkshire
County Record Office, Northallerton. Some are available to view
on microfilms : MIC485/486
- Christenings: 1773-1961
- Baptism sponsors: 1850-56
- Banns: 1754-1938
- Marriages: 1754-1919
- Burials: 1773-1937
- Original Registers still held at the Parish Church:
- Christenings: 1961 - date
- Banns: 1940 - date
- Marriages: 1920 -date
- Burials: 1937 - date
- Bishop's Transcripts are mainly lodged at the Borthwick
Institute of Historical Research, York.
- Chr/Marr/Bur: 1600, 1607, 1631-32, 1634-39, 1641, 1661-64,
1666-69, 1671-73, 1676-78, 1683, 1690 , 1692, 1694-1711, 1713-80, 1782-1837
- Chr/Bur: 1838-41,1844-46
- Chr/Bur: 1848-69 (deposited at the West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds)
- Other Records and copies
- Chr:Marr:Bur: 1597-1690 A printed transcription was published
by Yorkshire Parish Record Society in 1938; and later published
on fiche by the Yorkshire Archeological Society, Leeds.
- Index to Chr/Marr/Bur: 1597-1816 The manuscript index created
by Rev E Cookson circa 1914, has two original copies lodged at
Bradford and Leeds Libraries and is included on the microfilm
of original registers produced by NYCRO.
- Baptism sponsors: 1850-56 (included on the NYCRO microfilms
- Marriages: 1607-1837 (Boyd's Marriage Index. Copy at York Library)
- PR Extracts included in the IGI and familysearch .org : Chr/Marr:
1592-1690 presumably taken from the published transcript and
Chr: 1683-1846, Marr: 1683-1837 extracted from BTs.
Kirkby Malham Marriages 1754-1910 : A searchable database transcribed
from the original marriage registers for St Michael the Archangel.
Kirkby Malham Baptisms & Burials 1773-1910 : A searchable database
transcribed from the original baptism and burial registers for St
Michael the Archangel.
Where to find
Airton Quaker Meeting records
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the
Parish of Kirkby Malhamdale.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 15.02 on Saturday, 04 May 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2013]