Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBY MALZEARD

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBY MALZEARD

KIRKBY MALZEARD, a parish-town, in the lower division of Claro, liberty of St. Peter; (Mowbray House, the seat of Tomyns Dickins, Esq.) 4 miles S. of Masham, 7 from Ripon, 10 from Pateley Bridge, 30 from York. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, Whitsun Monday, and October 2, for cattle, sheep, &c. Pop. 682. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Catterick, diocese of Chester, value, with Masham, £301. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. It possess a peculiar exempt jurisdiction, formerly annexed to the Prebend of Masham, in the Cathedral of York, now exercised by a Commissary, appointed by Trinity College, Cambridge. The present Vicar is the Commissary.

Here, the famous family of the Mowbrays had a Castle, which was besieged 20 Henry II. by Henry, the elect Bishop of Lincoln. Roger de Mowbray then hastened to the King at Northampton, where he rendered up to him this Castle and that at Thirsk, both of which were soon after made untenable, and pulled down. --Dugdale's Bar.

Mr. Dickins, on enlarging his present Mansion, and laying out his pleasure grounds, dug up a great many ruins of this ancient Castle; bases, shafts, capitals, &c. belonging to which, are now to be seen, grotesquely placed in various parts of the grounds. This Castle was situated on an eminence, with a deep ditch on the north, and commanding most extensive prospects to the east and north east, and from which, no doubt, the Castle of Thirsk was visible.

John de Mowbray obtained a grant 35 Edward I. to hold two fairs annually, and a market weekly, at Kirkby Malzeard. These Fairs and market, after laying dormant, we know not how long, have been revived since 1816.

Here is a School, founded about the year 1640, by one William Horseman, who endowed it with 50s. per annum: it has since received several small endowments, and the master's emolument now amounts to £7. 10s. per annum. --Commissioners' Report.

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]