Area, 6,500 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. -Population, 10,020 *1; Church-room, 1,300; Net value, £537. -An ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the family De Burg, and afterwards of the Duke of Northumberland.
Patron, the Rev. J. Alderson.
The value of the Church in Pope Nicholas's taxation is £20 per annum, and the Vicarage is valued in the King's Books at £25. 13s. 9d. per annum; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 319, at £105 per annum. Pension to the Vicar of Dewsbury, £1. 3s. 4d. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d. A Chantry is named in the Valor. Ecc.
Inclosure Acts were passed 19th Geo. III. (Lepton) ; 29th Geo. III. (Dalton) ; 39th Geo. III. (Kirkheaton) ; 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Denby with Clayton) ; 44th Geo. III. amended Act, and 1st and 2nd Geo. IV. (Whitley).
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
10th March 1756, faculty to erect a gallery.
7th May 1791, ditto to re-pew the Church.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1653; defective, 1722 - 1731. - See Transcripts at York.
The School. William Lyley, in 1685, left a rent-charge of £5 per annum for educating ten poor boys, and the Rev. Mr. Stocks left 10s. per annum for repairing the school windows. The Rector for the time being is one of the trustees.
state. Rent of 16 acres of land, purchased with £100 given to the poor by N. Lee, before 1671.
Gibson's charity. £4. 2s. once in two years given to the poor. Vide Huddersfield.
Beaumont's charity. Vide General Charities.
William Bedford's charity, by will.
The interest of £30 to the poor of Whitley. -Vide 21st Report, page 595.
Post town: Huddersfield.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 797. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 107. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 337. Wood's MS. (Bodleian,) No. 5101.
*1 Viz. Dalton, 3,060; Kirkheaton, 2,755; Lepton, 3,320; and Upper Whitley, 885. Eighty-tour men are employed in quarries and mines in this parish.