Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKHEATON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKHEATON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKHEATON, a parish and manufacturing district in the upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Huddersfield, its post town. It is situated in a valley near the London and North-Western railway, which has a station at Heaton Lodge. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the townships of Dalton, Lepton, and Upper Whitley. It is bounded on the E. by the river Calder, which separates it from Mirfield; and on the N. E. by the Colne, over which is a handsome bridge. The surface is mountainous, and the road from Huddersfield to Wakefield, and the Manchester and Leeds railway, pass through the parish. There are several collieries in operation, also quarries of good building and flag stone. The land is highly cultivated. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of faney woollen and worsted goods, and in the making of vestings. At Colne Bridge is a large cotton-mill. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £537, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a large ancient building, with a tower containing a clock and six bells. It was partly rebuilt in 1823, and contains some marble monuments to the Beaumont family, whose mortuary chapel is attached. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There are National schools. The Earl of Dartmouth, and H. F. Beaumont, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners."


"BRADLEY MILLS, a hamlet in the township of Dalton and parish of Kirkheaton, in the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.E. of Huddersfield."


"COWMES, a village in the parish of Kirkheaton, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Huddersfield. The inhabitants are engaged in the cloth trade."


"DALTON, a township in the parish of Kirkheaton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. of Huddersfield. It is situated on a branch of the river Calder, and contains Dalton Green, Dalton Fold, Mould Green, and Bradley Mills. This village, which is very populous, has recently become a centre of the woollen trade, consisting of all kinds of fancy goods. There is a chapel of ease to Kirkheaton. The tithes were commuted in 1799. There is also a place of worship for the Swedenborgians. In the vicinity are several handsome residences, occupied by wealthy manufacturers. Rawthorpe Hall has been divided into several dwelling-houses."


"GAWTHORP, a village in the township of Lepton, and parish of Kirkheaton, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Huddersfield. This is said to have been the birth-place of Justice Gascoigne."


"HIGHGATE LANE, a hamlet in the township of Lepton, and parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth and fancy goods."


"LASCELLES HALL, a village in the township of Lepton, parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cloth trade."


"LEPTON, a township in the parish of Kirkheaton, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, its post town. This township, which is very populous, contains the villages of Great and Little Lepton, and seven other hamlets The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen cloths and fancy goods. Divine service is performed here on Sunday afternoons and evenings. There is a newly erected National school for both sexes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Leptonfields, and the Wesleyans one at Cowms. There is a mechanics' institute at Lascelles Hall, and one at Leptonfields."


"LIDGET, a village in the township of Lepton and parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cloth manufacture."


"MOULD GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Dalton, and parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Huddersfield. It is situated near a branch of the river Calder."


"ROWLEY, a village in the township of Lepton, parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 3 miles from Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cloth trade."


"UPPER WHITLEY, a township in the parish of Kirkheaton, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles N.E. of Huddersfield."


"WATERLOO, a hamlet in the township of Lepton, and parish of Kirkheaton, West Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Huddersfield."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013