Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LEATHLEY.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 1,640 acres. Claro wapentake, U. D. -Population, 413 *1; Church-room, 150; Net value, £302. -One-third part of the town of Leathley was held for one-third part of a knight's fee by Galfred de Monte Alto, of the Earl of Albemarle, who held it of the King, in capite, and another third part was held by the Master of St. Leonard's Hospital, who held it of the heirs of Percy, in frankalmoigne.

The Church was given to the Priory of Nostell, which had the patronage thereof till the Dissolution, when the Advowson came to the Crown.

Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

In Nicholas's first Survey, the Church was taxed at £6. 13s.; in the second, at £2 per annum ; in the King's books, at £7. 2s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 161, at £44 per annum. The Commissioners remark, that " The town of Castley is about a mile and a half distant, and the way, for the most part, impassable in winter, by reason of the roads, yet at present we leave it as it is."

Inclosure Act passed 26th Geo. II.

On the 1st March 1548, MilesWalker was instituted, on the presentation of the Assigns of the Priory, but he was deprived, and on the 27th June 1558, Thomas Holme was instituted, on the presentation of Queen Mary.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

There is a school-house and four alms-houses, founded by Mrs. Anne Hitch in 1769. The lord of the manor and the Rectors of Leathley and Addle are trustees.

The Register Books commence in 1674.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Otley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 241.


Notes:
*1 Viz. : Castley, 118; and Leathley, 295.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.