|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LEATHLEY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; 2 miles NE. of Otley, 11 from Leeds, 12 from Knaresborough, 27 from York. Pop. 312. The Church is a rectory (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £7. 2s. 8½d. Patron, the King.
Here is a School House and four Alms Houses, founded in 1769, by Mrs. Anne Hitch, who endowed the same with £12. per annum, for the master, to teach the children of the township of Leathley, reading, writing, English grammar, &c. £4. each for the Alms Houses, occupied by indigent persons. The money arises out of rents of land at Felliscliffe. The lord of the Manor, and the Rector of Leathley, and the Rector of Adel, are trustees. --Commis. Report."
"CASTLEY, in the parish of Leathley, upper-division of Claro; 4 miles E. of Otley, 10 from Knaresborough. Pop. 110."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]