Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LEDSHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LEDSHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LEDSHAM, a parish in the Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 3½ miles from Milford, its post town and junction station on the North-Eastern railway, and 6 N. of Pontefract. It is a small agricultural parish situated 2 miles N. of the river Aire, and 1 mile W. of the great N. road from London to Glasgow. It contains the villages of Fairburn and Ledstone. Limestone of excellent quality is quarried for building purposes, and for burning into lime. The surface is boldly undulating and well wooded. The soil is in general fertile, and in parts luxuriantly rich. The substratum abounds with coal and limestone, which are extensively worked. The village is situated in a vale near the source of a rivulet which flows through it. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £400. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing a clock and three bells. The interior contains a monument to Lady Elizabeth Hastings and her two sisters. The charities produce about £549 per annum, of which £375 belongs to Lady Hastings' boys and girls schools, and £152 to Sir J. Lewis's hospital. This latter charity was founded in 1670 for five aged bachelors and five spinsters. The building was repaired in 1816. There is a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists at Newton. The Rev. Charles Wheler is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"FAIRBURN, a township in the parish of Ledsham, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Ledsham, and 4 N.E. of Pontefract. It is situated on the river Aire, and the North Midland railway passes through the township. Limestone is extensively quarried. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a village school, supported by Lady Palmerston and others. Lord Palmerston is lord of the manor."


"LEDSTONE, a township in the parishes of Ledsham and Kippax, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of the Milford Junction station on the Leeds and Selby railway, and 6 N. of Pontefract. The York and North Midland railway passes through the township. It is a small agricultural village, situated about 1 mile N. of the river Aire, and half a mile W. of the old N. road. The surface is varied and the land extremely fertile. Ledstone Hall is situated in the midst of a wooded park enclosed within a stone wall. It was formerly the seat of the Witham family, and afterwards of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. Kippax Park is another seat. The Rev. Charles Wheler is lord of the manor and chief landowner."


"NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Ledsham, ward of Upper Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Pontefract."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013