Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HUNSLET.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, vide Leeds. Leeds division. -Population, 12,074, vide Leeds; Chapel-room, 1,100 *1; Net value, £182.

Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. Torre says the patronage is in the Vicar and inhabitants. He gives the substance of the petition of Richard Sykes, Esq. and others, the founders.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 356, it is stated: " Population, 200 families. A mile from Leeds. To be made parochial."

Augmented in 1719 with £200 to meet benefaction of lands worth £220 from the Rev. J. Cookson and others.

There is no glebe house.

The Chapel was built in 1636, with brick, in a very plain style, and consecrated 30th October, in the same year, by Richard, Bishop of Sodor and Man.

In 1744 the Chapel was enlarged.

11th December 1830, faculty to erect a brick tower at the west end of the Chapel, with a stone cupola, to be in height 85 feet, and to be stuccoed ; also to make certain alterations in the chapel.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Michaelmas Term, 14th Elizabeth, Uslet (query Hunslet).

The Register Books for baptisms commence in 1686, but are defective in 1694-1695, 1713, and 1714; and for burials in 1716, but defective in 1719 and 1798. Marriages are celebrated at the mother Church.

Charities:
Robert Brooke's gift, by will, dated in 1653. Rent-charge of 20s. for four poor people.

Rev. John Paley's gift. 50s. per annum, for teaching five poor children.

Alderman Massie's gift. Interest of £100 for instructing poor children. Now lost. -Vide 15th Report, page 680.

Post town: Leeds.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS., page 273. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 103. 225. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 98. Thoresby, page 177.


Notes:
*1 570 additional sittings (of which 555 are free) have been procured. towards which the Society made a grant of £300.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.