GENUKI Home page    Leeds Parish Leeds
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Leeds:


"ALLERTON GLEDHOW, in the township of Potternewton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; (the residence of Sir John Beckitt,) 3 miles N. of Leeds, 7 from Harewood, 10 from Otley."


"ALLERTON GRANGE, in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles from Leeds.

This place formerly belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Kirkstall. The family of the Killingbecks which is of considerable antiquity in these parts, were tenants to it before the dissolution. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."


"ARMLEY, in the borough and in the parish of Leeds, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (Armley House, the seat of Benjamin Gott, Esq.) 2 miles SW. of Leeds, 8 from Bradford. Pop. 4,273. The Church, built in the time of Charles I. is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

Of the Danish Fortification called Giant's Hill, at this place, as described by Thoresby, very little is now to be seen, having been cut through by the Leeds and Liverpool canal."


"BEESTON, in the borough and parish of Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles SW. of Leeds, 10 from Wakefield, 12 from Bradford, 11 from Huddersfield. Pop. 1,670. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

The present chapel of Beeston is the oldest in the parish, and probably the second in antiquity. The lancet window at the west end appears to be as old as Henry III. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"BRAMLEY, in the borough and parish of Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles W. of Leeds, 7 from Bradford. Pop. 4,916. The Church is a perpetual curacy, of which the Vicar of Leeds is Patron.

In this place was born, in 1625, Joseph Hill, a Divine and Lexicographer. He was the son of a Puritan preacher of the same place. He was carefully educated in classical learning, and sent to Cambridge, where he was some time Fellow of Magdalen College, and afterwards minister of the English church at Rotterdam, in Holland. He was editor of Schrevelius Lexicon, which he augmented with 8000 words, and purged of nearly as many faults. It is still a standard book. He died in 1707, and gave his Library to the Free School at Leeds."


"BURLEY, in the township of Headingley, and parish of Leeds, 1 miles W. of Leeds, 8 from Bradford, 9 from Otley."


"BURMANTOFTS, in the township, and parish of Leeds, and part of Leeds."


"BUSLINGTHORPE, in the township and parish of Leeds, liberty of Pontefract; 1 mile N. of Leeds."


"CHAPEL ALLERTON, in the borough and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles N. of Leeds, 5 from Harewood, 9 from Wetherby, 11 from Otley. Pop. 1,678. The Church is a perpetual curacy. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

Robert Parker, of Browsholme, says Thoresby, built an hospital here for ten widows, to whom he has given 50. per annum, for nearly twenty years past, and designed to augment the endowment at his death very considerably. Whether this design was put into execution or not, we have not learned."


"COLDCOTES, or (Calcotes or Caldcotes) a hamlet in the township of Potternewton, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles W. of Leeds, 8 from Aberford."


"FARNLEY, in the borough and parish of Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Edward Armitage, Esq.) 4 miles W. of Leeds, 7 from Bradford. Pop. 1,332. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value p.r. 122. 6s. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds." (There is further information for Farnley).


"FARNLEY MOORSIDE, in the township of Farnley, and parish of Leeds, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley; 5 miles from Leeds, 6 from Bradford."


"GIPTON, in the township of Potternewton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack; 2 miles N. of Leeds, 6 from Harewood.

Amongst the Thickets here, Thoresby, in his survey of the parish, discovered the remains of an ancient Fortification, the out trench whereof was 18 feet broad; it has now nearly disappeared."


"GREAT WOOD HOUSE, in the township and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 1 miles from Leeds."


"HEADINGLEY, in the borough and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles NW. of Leeds, 5 from Bradford and Otley. Pop. including Burley, 2,154, which being united, form a township. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Michael. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. (The spelling Headingley is in current use. (B.T. 1995)

In this village "still remains the gigantic Oak Tree, of which Thoresby modestly and ingeniously conjectured that it might have been the place of assembly for the wapentake, and have occasioned the name of Skyrack, i.e. Shire Oak.""


"HOLBECK, in the borough and parish of Leeds, liberty of Pontefract; joins to the town of Leeds by Water Lane, 1 mile S. of Leeds. Pop. 7,151. The Chapel, of uncertain antiquity, which, in the last century, was repaired at an expense nearly equal to being rebuilt, is a perpetual curacy. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

In a Bull granted by the Pope to Ralph Pagnell, who lived in the time of William the Conquerer, this Chapel is mentioned as being given by the said Ralph Pagnell, to the Priory of the Holy Trinity at York, the date 1089. There was a Chantry here, valued in the 37th Henry VIII. at 4. per annum. --Thoresby."


"HUNSLET, in the borough and parish of Leeds, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 1 miles SE. of Leeds, 7 from Wakefield. Pop. 8,171. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, value, p.r. 140. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

Here was formerly a seat of the Gascoignes and the Nevils; who had a Manor House and Park here. William the Conqueror gave this manor to Ilbert de Laci, (and not to Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel and Shrewsbury, as mentioned by Thoresby.) The attainder of Sir John Nevil, for the rebellion of the year 1570, and the consequent dispersion of his estates into small parcels, were the means of extending the woollen manufacture both here and in the parish of Birstal. Population at Hunslet increased accordingly, and in about sixty years began to require the accommodation of a Chapel. This was erected and endowed in 1636, and about the year 1744, extended to about twice the original dimensions. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"HUNSLET LANE, in the township of Hunslet, and parish of Leeds, extends from Leeds to Hunslet."


"KIRKSTALL ABBEY, and Kirkstall Bridge, in the township of Headingley, and parish of Leeds, lower division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles W. of Leeds, 7 from Bradford, 8 from Otley, 16 from Harrogate." (There is further information for Kirkstall Abbey).


"KNOWSTHORPE, a hamlet in the township, borough and parish of Leeds, 1 mile SE. of Leeds.

In an old house which formerly belonged to a family of the name of Baynes, now converted into dwellings, and probably not older than Capt. Adam Baynes, who was burgess for Leeds, in the only Parliament in which it was ever represented, is perhaps, says Dr. Whitaker, "the latest specimen of a deis, or raised step for the high table, which is to be found in England." A few years since it was hung round with portraits.

In a garden adjoining, are the gravestones to the memory of two of the Stable family, and which appear to have been legible in Thoresby's time, whatever they may be now, the dates are 1662 an 1692, and the inscriptions are inserted in Thoresby's Leodiensis. "Mr. John Stable, the last of the family who resided here, being tainted with Quakerism, converted part of his orchard into a place of Sepulture. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."


"LITTLE WOOD HOUSE, in the township and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 1 mile from Leeds."


"MEANWOOD, in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack; 3 miles NW. of Leeds, 8 from Otley, 9 from Bradford."


"MILL SHAW, a hamlet in the township of Beeston, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles from Leeds."


"MOOR ALLERTON, a hamlet in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Leeds. The north part of the borough of Leeds terminates here."


"MOOR GRANGE, a single house in the township of Headingley, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles from Leeds. Formerly a Grange of Kirkstall Abbey."


"NEW GRANGE, (the seat of Thomas Benyon, Esq.) in the township of Headingley, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles from Leeds, 7 from Harewood. (This was re-named Kirkstall Grange in 1834 and is now part of Becketts Park - Leeds Metropolitan University site. Jean Greenwood 2008)" (There is further information for New Grange).


"OSMONDTHORPE, in the township of Halton, borough and parish of Leeds, 2 miles SE. of Leeds." (There is further information for Osmondthorpe).


"POTTERNEWTON, in the parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles N. of Leeds, 6 from Harewood, 9 from Otley.

Potternewton, which, Dr. Whitaker says, with Chapel Allerton and Gledhow, constitutes the most beautiful portion of the parish of Leeds, was anciently a seat of the Mauleverers, who came over with the Conqueror, and which family was seated here at least eight generations. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."


"RIGGE, and RIGGE COTE, 2 hams. in the township of Armley, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles W. of Leeds, 9 from Bradford."


"ROYDS, (Far and Near) a hamlet in the township of Beeston, and parish of Leeds, 2 miles from Leeds."


"SHEEPSCAR, in the township and parish of Leeds, half a mile from Leeds."


"SKELTON, a farm-house in the township and parish of Leeds, 1 mile SE. of Leeds."


"STANNINGLEY, in the townships of Calverley with Farsley, Pudsey, and Bramley, and parishes of Calverley and Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 4 miles from Bradford, 6 from Leeds."


"TENTERS, in the parish of Leeds, are several poorly defined areas as follows:

Tenters refers to a wooden frame over which cloth was stretched to dry. The cloth was attached to hooks around the frame until it was very taut. The cloth then dried evenly and did not stretch. This is the origin of the phrase "on tenterhooks" - applied to someone who is very tense.

Leeds built its wealth on the wool industry and part of that industry meant hundreds of these stretching frames. I had a look at some early 19thC maps and there are dozens of them all over the place.

I also had a look at some of the births, deaths and marriages at St Peter's both before 1760 and after. "Tenters" seems to be a common address. Another common location was "beyond Leedes brigg" which meant somewhere on the south side of the river. Neither addresses are very helpful to us today but at the time the population of Leeds was around the 20,000 figure so locating someone was far easier than today. [Keith Feeney, Feb 2005]

In Leeds it seems that there were 2 main areas designated like this in the 1770's:

One large area (Tenters Garth) just to the W of St Peter's church (150 yds), and E of the main thoroughfare called Briggate. The other place was just W again of Briggate (less than 100 yds), bordering the N bank of the River Aire, where there was a Lower Tenter, and slightly to the NW the Upper Tenter.

Further to the NW was the Cloth Hall and the Infirmary. [Tony Patrick, Feb 2005]."


"WEETWOOD HALL, a single house in the township of Headingley, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles from Leeds, 8 from Bradford."


"WITHER, a single house in the township of Armley, and parish of Leeds, 3 miles NW. of Leeds, 6 from Bradford."


"WOOD HOUSE CARR, (Great and Little) in the township and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack; 1 mile from Leeds."


"WORTLEY, UPPER and LOWER, in the borough and parish of Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles WSW. of Leeds, 8 from Bradford. Pop. 3,126. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Leeds, under the Patronage of five Trustees."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014