"LINTON IN CRAVEN, a parish in the E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles N. of Skipton, its post town, and 20 from Settle. It is a considerable village, situated in the valley of the river Wharfe. The parish, which is of large extent, comprises the townships of Grassington, Hobden, and Threshfield, with the hamlet of Linton Mill, The land is principally in pasture, and a considerable portion is hilly moorland. The population are chiefly employed in the lead mines of Grassington, and in the cotton and worsted mills. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, in two medieties, value £400, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure containing one bell. The interior of the church contains some ancient monuments, and had formerly two pulpits and two reading-desks. The register dates from 1562. The parochial charities produce about £385, of which £257 goes to Fountaine's hospital, and £80 to Hewett's grammar school, with four exhibitions at St. John's College, Cambridge. There are some other small bequests for distribution among the poor."
"GRASSINGTON, a township and small market town in the parish of Linton-in-Craven, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles N. of Skipton, its post town, and 10 W. of Pateley Bridge. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and abounds with lead, the mines being the property of the Duke of Devonshire. A deep level was commenced in 1796, and completed in 1830, at the cost of £40,000, for the drainage of these mines, which yield above 1,000 tons of lead annually, and employ about 300 persons. Calamine and galena are also obtained. In the village, which is situated on the eastern acclivity of the valley, is a worsted mill, giving employment to some of the people. The scenery in this neighbourhood is of singular beauty. The land consists chiefly of a high moor, affording tolerable pasturage. There is a mechanics' institute, and numerous smelting works. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school. Wednesday is market day, chiefly for farm produce. Fairs are held on 4th March, 24th April, 29th June, and 26th September, for live stock."
"HEBDEN, a township in the parish of Linton-in-Craven, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Wharfe. The population are chiefly employed in the cotton mills and in the lead mines in the vicinity. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was erected in 1841. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship."
"SKIRETHORNS, a hamlet in the township of Threshfield and parish of Linton-in-Craven, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Skipton, on the river Wharfe."
"THRESHFIELD, a township in the parish of Linton-in-Craven, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and contains the hamlet of Skirethorns, or Skythorne. The soil is generally light, on limestone. There is a grammar school endowed with £30 per annum."