[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"LINTON IN CRAVEN, a parish-town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (the seat of Mrs. Atkinson) 7 miles S. of Kettlewell, 9 from Skipton, 10 from Pateley Bridge, 44 from York. Pop. 313. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches
for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, in two medieties of £16. each, p.r. first mediety, !£100. second ditto, !£120. Patron, the King.
Here is an excellent Hospital, founded and endowed by Richard Fountain Esq. of Enfield, Middlesex, a native of the place, who having acquired a large fortune in London, by Will, dated July 15, 1721, ordered an estate to be purchased, out of which £26. per annum, should be equally divided among six poor old women or men, in the parish of Linton. They each now receive upwards of twelve guineas per annum, besides the use of a large garden. The founder also left £20. to the minister or ministers of the parish, provided they constantly reside in the parish, and read prayers twice in the week to the poor persons in the hospital. The building is after the style of Sir John Vanburgh, and is said to have cost £1,500. The parish church is at some distance from the village, on the banks of the Wharfe."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Hebden Bank
- Hebden Moorside
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]