GENUKI Home page    Little Ouseburn Parish<br>main page Little Ouseburn
Parish
main page

LITTLE OUSEBURN:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"LITTLE OUSEBURN, a parish comprising the townships of Kirkby-Hall and Thorp-Underwoods in the lower, and those of Little Ouseburn and Widdington, in the tipper, division of the wapentake of CLARO West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 558 inhabitants, of which number, 293 are in the township of Little Ouseburn, 5 miles S.S.E. from Aldborough. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 3. 8. 4., endowed with 100 and 3 per annum private benefaction, and 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Precentor in the Cathedral Church of York. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Five poor children are educated for a trifling annuity, the gift of Elizabeth Colston in 1756."


"KIRKBY HALL, a township in that part of the parish of LITTLE-OUSEBURN, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Aldborough, containing 55 inhabitants."


"THORP UNDERWOODS, a township in that part of the parish of LITTLE-OUSEBURN, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Aldborough, containing 179 inhabitants."


"WIDDINGTON, a township in that part of the parish of LITTLE-OUSEBURN, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles E.S.E. from Aidborough, containing 31 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014