Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LONG PRESTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 10,090 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 1,501 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £302. -This Church was appropriated to the Abbey of Bolton by Henry, Archbishop of York, and a Vicarage ordained 1303. There was a new ordination in 1307, an augmentation of the Vicarage in 1322, and another ordination in 1455 ; and it was given, at the Dissolution, to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, who are the present patrons and impropriators.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £33. 6s. 8d., which in the new taxation is reduced to £13. 6s. 8d. In the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 18s. 10d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 209, it is stated : " Vicarage, £35 per annum. The tithe of corn and wool is impropriate."

" The Vicar hath three oxgangs of land, the tithes of lambs *3. . . foals, pigs, and pullen, a modus for hay and mills. The corn and wool pertain to Christ College. Annual value, about £60." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1064.

Dr. Whitaker gives a list of the Vicars.

6th July 1805, faculty to erect a gallery.

Inclosure Acts were passed 21st Geo. III. (West Halton), and 39th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Registers for baptisms and burials commence in 1584 ; for marriages in 1563. Some chasms.

Charities:
James Knowles's Hospital, founded by will, dated 17th March 1613, for ten poor old people. Income arises from the rent of 43a. 2r. of land, one house, and rent-charge of £17. 10s., out of which 20s. is paid to the Vicar for two sermons, 5s. to one of the poor men for reading prayers at the Chapel in the Hospital, and 5s. to the churchwardens for ornamenting the parish Church. The Vicar is, ex officio, a governor.

John Smith's charity, by will, dated 23rd October 1732. Rent of 8a. 2x. of land and two houses.

Doles and Poor's Funds. Rent-charge of 10s. and the interest of two sums of £20 each, donors unknown, out of which 9s. is paid towards apprenticing a poor child, and the remainder among poor persons of Long Preston.

TOWNSHIP OF WIGGLESWORTH.

Clarke's and Hargreave's gifts. Interest of £15 to poor persons of the township.

Free School, founded by the will of Lawrence Clarke, dated 15th August 1789. The income arises from the dividends of £1,135. 19s. 8d. three per cent. consols. The Vicar is one of the trustees. Master's salary, £30. About 60 scholars, who are taught gratis in reading, writing, and arithmetic, and a few are occasionally taught Latin. - Vide 15th Report, page 686.

Post town: Settle.


References:
Torre's MS., page 429. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 137. Mon. Angl., vol. ii. page 170. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Whitaker's Craven, page 121.


Notes:
*1 Viz Hellifield, 250; Long Preston, 808; and Wigglesworth, 443.

*2 Agreeably to the return in 1831. In 181R, the return was 600.

*3 illegible in MS.


Other information:
HAMERTON. -Here was a Chantry at the altar of Saint Anne, which was valued, at the Dissolution, at £4. 7s. 4d. per annum.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.