Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Long Preston:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Long Preston:


"ARNFORD, a single house in the township of Hellifield, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 6½ miles SSW. of Settle."


"DEEP DALE HEAD, a single house in the township of Wigglesworth, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Gisburn, 6½ miles S. of Settle."


"HALTON WEST, in the parish of Long Preston, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (Halton Place, the seat of John Yorke, Esq.) 7 miles S. of Settle, 12 from Skipton, 15 from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 190.

This village gave name to a very ancient family, which bore, Argent, two bars Azure, the last heiress of whom, 3rd Richard III, added it to the great estate of the Talbots, of Bashall, by marrying Sir Thomas Talbot, Knight. Halton remained in the Talbot family till their extinction, about the year 1660. It is now, by purchase, the property of John Yorke, Esq. who has greatly enhanced the value of the estate, by judicious improvements. --Whitaker's Craven."


"HELLIFIELD, (or Hellifield Cockins) in the parish of Long Preston, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6½ miles SE. of Settle, 9½ from Skipton, 12½ from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 279."


"HELLIFIELD PEEL, the seat of James Hamerton, Esq. in the township of Hellifield and parish of Long Preston, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe." (There is further information for Hellifield Peel).


"LITTLE NEWTON, a single house in the township of Hellifield, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles SE. of Settle."


"LONG GILL, 2 farm-houses in the township of Wigglesworth, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Settle."


"MEER BECK, (or Meer Sykes) 4 farm-houses in the township of Settle, one being in the parish of Long Preston, the other three, in that of Giggleswick, 2 miles from Settle, 14 from Skipton."


"SCALES, a single house in the township of Halton West, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 6½ miles S. of Settle."


"THORNBER HOUSE, a single house in the township of Halton West, and parish of Long Preston, liberty of Staincliffe; 7½ miles S. of Settle."


"WIGGLESWORTH, in the parish of Long Preston, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles S. of Settle, 13 from Skipton and Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 479.

Here is a School, free for all the Children in the township, founded by Lawrence Clark, about the year 1800."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]