|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LONG PRESTON, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4½ miles S. of Settle, 7 from Gisburn, 11½ from Skipton, 15 from Colne, (Lanc.) 53 from York. No Market. Fairs, March 1, and September 4, for horned cattle, &c. Principal Inn, Boar's Head. Pop. 733. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value, £10. 18s. 11½d. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford.
The Prior and Canons of Bolton appear to have presented to this Church, ever since the endowment of the vicarage, in 1303, to the dissolution of their house; when the rectory and advowson were granted by Henry VIII. to Christ church, Oxford. In this Church was a chantry, dedicated to our Lady and St. Anne, founded by Richard Hammerton, Knight, according to the return of chantries made by Archbishop Holgate, and valued at £5. 6s. 8d. per annum. --Hist. Craven.
Here are ten Alms Houses, with a Chapel for reading prayers, founded by James Knowles, by Will, dated 1613 14, for ten poor men or women, and endowed by him with land, worth, in 1786, £49. 15s. per annum."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Deep Dale Head
- Halton West
- Hellifield Peel
- Little Newton
- Long Gill
- Meer Beck
- Thornber House