[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MALTBY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (the seat of John Cook, Esq.) 4½ miles W. of Tickhill, 7½ from Rotherham, 13 from Sheffield, 47 from York. Pop. 679. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£4. 13s. 4d. p.r. £30. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough.
Here is School founded by one of the Earls of Castleton, and repaired by his heirs. Within the communion rails of this Church lies an infant son of George Viscount Castleton, who died in 1655."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.