GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   West Riding West Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of MALTBY

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"MALTBY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (the seat of John Cook, Esq.) 4½ miles W. of Tickhill, 7½ from Rotherham, 13 from Sheffield, 47 from York. Pop. 679. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~4. 13s. 4d. p.r. 30. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough.

Here is School founded by one of the Earls of Castleton, and repaired by his heirs. Within the communion rails of this Church lies an infant son of George Viscount Castleton, who died in 1655."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Brook House
  • Car
  • Hooton Levitt
  • Roche Abbey
  • Sandbeck
  • Stone
  • Thornborough Hill
  • Woodlee Mill
  • Yews

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

History

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014