Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Maltby:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Maltby:


"BROOK HOUSE, in the parish of Maltby, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, and liberty of St. Peter; 5 miles SW. of Tickhill."


"CAR, in the parish of Maltby, wap. of Strafforth and Tickhill, and liberty of Tickhill; 5 miles SW. of Tickhill."


"HOOTON LEVITT, or High Levett, in the parish of Maltby, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seat of William Hoyle, Esq.) 5 miles W. of Tickhill, 7 from Rotherham, 9¼ from Bawtry. Pop. 95."


"ROCHE ABBEY, in the township and parish of Maltby, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles from Tickhill, 6 from Bawtry, 9 from Rotherham.

Richard de Builli and Richard Fitzturgis, founded an Abbey here, in 1147, and dedicated it to the blessed Virgin. The revenues were rated at £224. 2s. 5d. according to Dugdale, and £271. 19s. 4d. --Speed. The site was granted 35th Henry VIII. to William Ramsden and Thomas Vavasour. It is now the property of the Earl of Scarboruogh. One side of the nave of the church, under the middle tower, and some odd arches, are all that remain of this considerable structure, except a few small fragment which are scattered to a considerable distance around.

This spot certainly presents a most luxuriant and fascinating landscape; yet we cannot suffer our enthusiasm so far to run away with our senses, as to say with Mr. Dayes, that here "everything a traveller can wish, to render a place delightful, will be found concentrated in this most enchanting spot; majestic woods, expansive water, romantic rocks, an agreeable ruin, and withal, most commodious walks, for the convenience of viewing its various beauties.""


"SANDBECK, (the seat of the Earl of Scarborough) in the township and parish of Maltby, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 2½ miles from Tickhill, 6 from Bawtry, 10 from Rotherham.

This elegant Mansion, which was built by Richard, the fourth Earl of Scarborough, is a magnificent and commodious residence. The south front is in the pure style of Grecian architecture; and the interior corresponds with the exterior in elegance. Amongst a fine collection of pictures in this house, a description of which may be seen in Young's Northern Tour, is one, in the drawing room, by Wilson, of "that true, incorruptible, and never to be forgotten patriot Sir George Savile, in a sitting posture, with a map of the river Calder before him." --Miller's History of Doncaster.

This ancient family of the Lumleys, says Camden and Dugdale, is descended from Liulph, a person of great nobility in the time of Edward the Confessor, who married Algitha, daughter to Aldred, Earl of Northumberland; and that they took the name from their lordship of Lumley, on the banks of the river Wear, near Chester le Street.

The first Earl of Scarborough, was Richard, Viscount Lumley, created an English Peer, by the title of Baron Lumley, 1681. He had a principal command of the troops that gained the victory at Sedgemoor over the Duke of Monmouth; but concurring in the revolution, was, in 1689, created Viscount Lumley, and in 1690, Earl of Scarborough: he died in 1721. The present is the sixth Earl. --Biog. Peerage."


"STONE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Maltby; 3 miles SW. of Tickhill, 6 from Bawtry, 8 from Rotherham."


"THORNBOROUGH HILL, a single house in the township and parish of Maltby; 3 miles S. of Tickhill."


"WOODLEE MILL, a Mill, in the township and parish of Maltby; 5½ miles from Tickhill and Bawtry."


"YEWS, a farm-house and Paper Mill, in the township and parish of Maltby; 4 miles S. of Tickhill."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]