[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MARR, a parish-town, in the lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Doncaster, 11 from Barnsley, 40 from York. Pop. 162. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £4. 8s. 4d. p.r. £100. Patron, Lord Rendlesham.
In the Church is a monument, with a Latin inscription, to the family of Lewys, ancestors to Lady Elizabeth Hastings, of charitable memory.
In this village was born, John Marre, a Carmelite Friar. Hence he went to Oxford, where the University bestowed much honour upon him. He wrote against the opinions of John Wickliffe. He died March 1407, and was buried in the convent of Carmelites at Doncaster. --Fuller."
"MARR GRANGE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Marr, liberty of Tickhill; 3½ miles W. of Doncaster."