GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   West Riding West Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of MARR

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"MARR, a parish-town, in the lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Doncaster, 11 from Barnsley, 40 from York. Pop. 162. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, 4. 8s. 4d. p.r. 100. Patron, Lord Rendlesham.

In the Church is a monument, with a Latin inscription, to the family of Lewys, ancestors to Lady Elizabeth Hastings, of charitable memory.

In this village was born, John Marre, a Carmelite Friar. Hence he went to Oxford, where the University bestowed much honour upon him. He wrote against the opinions of John Wickliffe. He died March 1407, and was buried in the convent of Carmelites at Doncaster. --Fuller."


"MARR GRANGE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Marr, liberty of Tickhill; 3 miles W. of Doncaster."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014