Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MEXBOROUGH.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 2,340 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. -Population, 1,270 *2 ; Church-room, 300 *3; Net value, £95. -The Church was founded by the Saxon family of Ailric, and consisted of two medieties, whereof one was given by Monthegon to the House of Bretton, and the other by Swein to the Hospital of St. Nicholas at Pontefract, but afterwards it appears to have been given to Nostel. Walter Gray, 15th Kal. Jun., 33 Pont., appropriated and annexed one moiety to the Archdeaconry of York, and the other moiety was also annexed thereto, on the 5th Kal. December, 1262. A Vicarage was ordained in 1267. Torre only mentions one Vicar, viz, in 1267.

Patron and impropriator, the Archdeacon of York.

Valued in 1707 at £20. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 508, it is stated, " Only fifty families ; to be united to Adwick upon Dearne, which is only distant a mile and a half, and Mexbrough to be the parish Church;" and in 1818, at £60 per annum.

Augmented in 1767 with £200 by lot; in 1810, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Reverend Archdeacons Cooper and Markham, Mrs. S. Finch, Mr. Wentworth, and Dr. Fountaine, late Dean of York; and in the same year with £200 from the same grant, by lot. In 1816, with £800, and in 1825 with £200 both from the same grant, by lot ; and in 1833 with £200, and £200 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £400 from the Rev. Archdeacon Markham, the patron.

For the inscriptions and list of Curates, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

26th April 1822, faculty to erect a gallery.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1562.

Charities:
The Hospital Houses. These are six small tenements, occupied by poor widows, and supposed to have been founded about the year 1728, by persons named Home and Calverley, and endowed with a rent-charge of £5 per annum out of an estate at Mexbrough, belonging to R. Fountayne Wilson, Esq. The almswomen are chosen by the minister of the parish and the owner or occupier of a farm in Mexbrough, formerly belonging to the family of Home. The rent-charge is the only fund for repairs.

Cartwright's alias Vicars's dole. A pension of 13s. 4d. a year is paid under this charity to a poor widow of Mexbrough. -Vide General Charities.

Rev. Mr. Belton's gift. A legacy of £10 to the poor. The Commissioners could obtain no account of this legacy. -Vide 18th Report, page 624.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS. (Peculiars) page 789. Nonae Rolls, page 230. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 303. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 390. Bodleian MS. No. 5,101.


Notes:
*1 The township of Mexbrough is partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 Viz. Dannaby 130, and Mexbrough 1,140. Cushworth is sometimes said to be in this parish, but Mr. Hunter states the whole of it to be within the parish of Sprotborough.

*3 In 1818, returned at 500. £15 has been granted by the Society towards building galleries to contain 147 sittings, of which 120 are to be free seats.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.