The Ancient Parish of MEXBOROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MEXBOROUGH, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill,
liberties of St. Peter and Tickhill; 5½ miles NE. of Rotherham, 8 from
Doncaster, 44 from York. Pop. 865. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage in
the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. !£60. --Bacon styles it a curacy,
certified value, £20.
The Church of Mexborough is only a perpetual curacy, so far as
respects the incumbents; but is described as a vicarage in the roll of
livings; subject to the Dean and Chapter of York, and is required to pay
procurations and synodals as a Vicar. In the Church are several ancient
monuments to the Savilles, a branch of which family, has furnished the title
The tenants of the lands of Roger Bacon did fealty and acknowledge,
that they held in Mekesburgh (Mexborough) 4 oxgangs of land and paid every two
years for keeping the Castle, (Tickhill) in each year, 2s. 4d. and the third
year, nothing. May not this have been the famous Fryer Roger Bacon? For
there is a tradition that he was a native of this part of Yorkshire, and that
his brazen head was set up in a field at Rothwell, near Leeds. --Blount's
"DENABY, in the parish of Mexborough, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill;
6 miles NE. of Rotherham and 6 from Doncaster. Pop. 141."
"DON POTTERY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mexborough; 5½ miles from
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Cemeteries etc. in the parish:
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Mexborough.
Brunswick Methodist Church, Mexborough.
Bank Street Methodist Church, Mexborough.
The Roman Catholic English Martyrs' Church, Mexborough, built in 1930.
The Baptist Church and Community Centre, Mexborough.
The Salvation Army, Mexborough.
The Spiritualist Church, Mexborough.
The former Primitive Methodist Church, Mexborough.
All Saints' Church, Denaby Main.
St. Alban's Roman Catholic Church, Denaby.
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988
by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we
cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest
here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The transcripts of Mexborough Parish Baptism Registers for:
- The transcripts of Mexborough Parish Marriage Registers for:
- The transcripts of Mexborough Parish Burial Registers for:
- The transcripts of Mexborough Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms for:
- The transcripts of Mexborough United Methodist Baptisms for:
- The transcripts of Lowfield - Denaby Main Methodist Baptisms for:
- The transcripts of Gorehill Methodist Baptisms for:
- The transcripts of other Mexborough Methodist Baptisms Registers for:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the
Parish of Mexborough.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015