Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for MIRFIELD: Mirfield Baptist Church History up to 1912.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

MIRFIELD: Mirfield Baptist Church History up to 1912.

MIRFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH

The Mirfield Church was commenced in 1816, and owes its inception to Mrs. Ingham and Mr. C. Thompson. Mrs. Ingham was a daughter of Dr. Evans, of the Bristol College, and her brother-in-law, Benjamin. Ingham, built the first chapel at Lockwood. Mr. Thompson, who was a Horton student, having conducted services at Thornhill was invited by the Ingham family to preach at their residence, Blake Hall. These meetings continued until Mrs. Ingham's death in 1819, when the congregation obtained a temporary use of the town barn until it should be required for the harvest. They removed, in 1820, to Little Moor Barn, and from thence to the schoolroom of the Knowle Grammar School where they remained three years, and formed, on July 25th, 1825, a Church of fourteen members.

A curate having succeeded to the mastership of the school, the Baptists were speedily evicted, but one of the deacons opened his house to the homeless company, and here the services were continued for four years. In 1830 they had the joy of possessing a chapel of their own, and the next year Mr. Albrecht—a German gentleman and a convert of the Hon Baptist Noel — came from Horton College as pastor. Here he found his life work, ministering to the people until his death in 1877, and leaving behind him a well-established Church.

In 1855 the school was built; in 1873 the present fine chapel was opened without debt, and stands as a worthy monument to the zeal of Dr. Albrecht, and the liberality of many friends. The pastorate has since been held by the Revs. W. Cushing (1879-81); R. Evans (1882-6), and J. Kitchener (1887-1909). The present pastor, Rev. H. Motley, began his ministry in July, 1910. Mirfield regards herself as the only Church in the Huddersfield District whose origin may not be traced, directly or indirectly, to the Church at Salendine Nook.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley