Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MONK FRYSTON.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,770 acres ; Barkston Ash wapentake, L. D. -Population, 863 *1; Church-room, 350 *2; Net value, £124. -This Church was appropriated to the Prebendary of Wistow. See Torre's MS., page 9, for the assignment of tithes to the Prebendary, A.D. 1222.

Patron and impropriator, the Prebendary of Wistow.

On the 11th May, A.D. 1447, a commission issued out to consecrate and dedicate the Church of Monk Fryston and cemetery thereof, which Chapel, saith Torre, has been ever since served by a stipendiary priest.

9th April 1729, faculty granted to re-pew the Church.

This Church is not mentioned in Pope Nicholas's taxation. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 261, it is said, "The parsonage is worth £120 per annum. The minister has fifty pounds per annum, paid by order of Parliament."

" It is endowed with no part of the tithes, but an augmentation was made of £60 per annum by Mr. Tobias Swinden, in the year 1661, then Prebendary of York, in obedience to the King's Letter, payable by the lessee of the tithes at Pent. and Mart., William Strode." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,278.

The Cure was augmented, in 1815, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. R. Bowman, the incumbent ; and in the same year, with £1,000 from the same grant, by lot.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 11th Geo. II.

Inclosure Acts were passed in the 32nd Geo. III., 37th Geo. III. (Hillam), 48th Geo. III. (Hillam amended Act), and 57th Geo. III. (Burton Salmon.)

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1538.

Charities:
Parish School. -3a. 3r. 7p. of land were allotted for a school under the Inclosure Act, 32 Geo. III., and a school and school-house have been since built, but there are no free scholars.

Doles. -Christopher Robinson's, 5s. per annum ; Rev. William Routh's, 5s. per annum ; and Richard Swallow's, 10s. per annum. All rents-charge.

Rev. William Strode's charity. Rent of 18 acres of land, distributed to the poor at Christmas.

Eliz. Rhodes's charity. Rent of three roods of land, distributed to the poor at Christmas.

Turner's dole. Rent-charge of 10s. per annum, distributed among the poor of Burton Salmon. -Vide 15th Report, page 635.

Post town: Ferrybridge.


References:
Torre's MS. (West Riding), page 9. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. 1. page 286. Mon. Ang., vol. iii. page 512.


Notes:
*1 In 1831, Burton Salmon, 142; Hillam, 291 ; Monk Fryston, 430.

*2 Of which, 66 free sittings have been obtained under a grant of £60 from the Society for Enlarging Churches. Church-room returned in 1818 at 400 or 500.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.