Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: NEWTON KYME.     Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 1,050 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, U. D. - Population, 221 *2 ; Church-room, 100 *3; Net value, £292. -A Rectory anciently belonging to the patronage of the family of the Kymes, and from them of the Talboys, Lords of Kyme, and from them of the Lords Fairfax, Barons Cameron, by Cecil, Lord Burleigh. The patronage is now in F. L. Fairfax, Esq.

Several Roman coins have been found here.

Mr. Torre gives the inscriptions and monuments, principally of the families of Talboys, Barwyk, and Fairfax.

Torre also gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

Value, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, £14. Tenths, £1. 8s.; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 234, the impropriate Rectory is stated to be worth £50 per annum, and to belong to the Lord General Fairfax. A portion of tithes, worth £10 per annum, called St. Mary's tithes, belong to William Jackson, of Leeds.

There is a glebe house fit for residence, which was altered under the authority of a faculty, dated 5th December 1768.

The Register books commence in 1633. There is a chasm from 1636 to 1682.

Charities:
Dame Ursula Barwick's Charities, given in 1673. Rent of 21a. 2r. 20p. (let on lease, which will expire 3rd August 1838), to be laid out in bread, and rent-charge of £5 per annum for apprenticing children.

School, established by Robert Fairfax, Esq., and augmented by his will, dated 13th November 1794, six free scholars. Endowed with 17 acres of land. -Vide 21st Report, page 599.

Post town: Tadcaster.


References:
Nonae Roll, page 227. Torre's MS., page 347. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 88. Wood's MS. (Bodleian), No. 5,101.


Notes:
*1 Alias Newton Kyne, alias Newton super Quef.

*2 Newton Kyme and Toulston. In 1834, returned at 228.

*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 180.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.