|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"NEWTON KYME, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston Ash; (Newton Hall, the seat of Thomas Lodderton Fairfax, Esq.) 1½ miles NW. of Tadcaster, 5 from Wetherby, 11½ from York, 13 from Ferrybridge. Pop. including Towlston, 184. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £14. Patron, Thomas Lodderton Fairfax, Esq.
This place takes its name from being formerly in the possession of the "Barons de Kime"; though it has since long been in the ancient family of Fairfax. --Drake.
Here some antiquaries place the Roman Calcaria, in the fields near St. Helen's Ford, there being no argument to fix it at Tadcaster, but what will equally agree to this place. Many Roman coins have been ploughed up here, particularly some of Constantius, Helena, and Constantine; also, an alabaster urn, containing ashes, melted lead, rings, &c. --Camden.
Dr. Owen Oglethorpe, Bishop of Carlisle, who crowned Queen Elizabeth, was a native of this place. --Camden.
Here is a School, founded in 1787, by the late Thomas Fairfax Esq."
"TOULSTON, in the township and parish of Newton Kyme, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; (Towlston Lodge, the seat of William Prest, Esq.) 3 miles W. of Tadcaster, 5 from Wetherby."