|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"NIDD, a parish-town, in the lower division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; (Nidd Hall, the seat of Francis Trapps, Esq.) 2 miles NE. of Ripley, 3½ from Knaresborough, 21½ from York. Pop. 86. The Church (see Churches for photograph) is a vicarage, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£3. 6s. 10½d. p.r. !£110. Patron, the King, as Duke of Lancaster."
"NEWTON HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Nidd; the house being within the township and parish of Nidd; but nearly the whole of the land is in Ripley. 1 mile NE. of Ripley.
This was formerly a seat of the ancient family of the Vavasours, a branch of which resided here, before the year 1570, and after the year 1610, as appears by the parish register. The situation is on a small eminence, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. Over the front door, is a shield of arms, containing those of Vavasour, Ingilby, and several others. The estate, consisting of upwards of 404 acres of land, was lately purchased by Matthew Thackwray of Harrogate, Esq. and is now, by purchase of the late Sir John Ingilby, the property of the present Sir William Amcotts Ingilby, Bart."