Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for NORMANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1887.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

NORMANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1887.

"NORMANTON, is a village, 3 miles, N.E. by E. of Wakefield and 8 miles s.S.E. of Leeds, in the parish of its name, which comprises the townships of Normanton, Altofts, and Snydale, has 4124 acres, and had 12,452 inhabitants in 1881. Its township, which includes 1227 acres and had 8038 inhabitants in 1881, includes the manor of Woodhouse, and is in Wakefield union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Normanton parliamentary division of the Riding, Pontefract rural deanery, and York archdeaconry and diocese. The rateable value is £27,178. Normanton station is the joint property of the Midland, North-Eastern, Lancashire and Yorkshire, and London and North-Western Railway Companies. A Local Board of Health was established here in 1872. The Right Hon. Baron Conyers is lord of Normanton manor. The Parish Church (All Saints) in Normanton village, is a stone Gothic structure, consisting of nave, aisles, chancel, and tower, in which are three bells and a clock. It contains four stained glass windows and several monuments. The living is a vicarage valued at £500, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. William M. Lane, M.A. There are Missions Churches at Hopetown and Streethouses. The Baptists, Wesleyans, Independents, Primitives, Free Methodists, Roman Catholics, Christadelphians and the Salvation Army have chapels here. The Burial Board has a consecrated ground adjacent to the old churchyard, and an unconsecrated ground with a mortuary chapel near Normanton Common. The School Board was established on October 24, 1874. There are Board Schools at Woodhouse and at Normanton Common; a National School at Normanton, a Catholic School and an Infants' School at Normanton Common. The Free School for poor boys, founded in 1592 by John Freeston, is now closed. The Dodsworth National School was founded at Altofts by Lady Dodsworth in 1828 who endowed it with £20 a year, for a education of 15 girls; and another school was erected at Woodhouse in 1876; the endowment now produces about £30 a year, which is divided between both schools. The poor parishioners have several benefactions amounting to £12 a year, and the Church land is let for £60 a year. Gas is supplied by the Normanton Gas Light Co. to private consumers at 3s. 9d. per 1000 cubic feet. A Chamber of Commerce was established in January 1886."

[Transcribed from White's General and Commercial Directory of Wakefield, Horbury, Alverthorpe, Sandal Magna, Stanley and Normanton - 1887]