GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   West Riding West Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of NORMANTON

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"NORMANTON, a parish-town, in Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4 miles NE. of Wakefield, 5 from Pontefract, 25 from York. Pop. 250.

The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~7. p.r. 150. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. In this Church is buried the celebrated James Torre, Esq. whose manuscript collections of the Ecclesiastical Antiquities of this county stand unrivalled. He died at Snydale, in this parish, July 31, 1699. --Drake's Ebor. Preface.

Here is a Grammar School, founded and endowed with 10. per annum, by John Fraston, Esq. in the year 1591, for all scholars of his sir name, and thirty others, out of the parishes of Normanton and Warmfield. The money is paid out of the University of Oxford."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Altofts
  • Newland Park
  • Snydale
  • Streethouse
  • Woodhouse

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Community Websites

Directories

Gazetteers

History

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Names (Geographical)

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014