"OTLEY, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, under a cliff called Chevin, on the S. side of the r. Wherfe, 146 cm. 175 mm. from London; has a Mt. on Tu. and the adjacent parts are reckoned the most delightful spot in England."
"DENTON HALL, in the parish of Otley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the N. W. side of Otley, was the seat of the Pt's. General Fairfax, which Prince Rupert was about to demolish, but, on sight of a picture of one of the General's worthy ancestors, was happily saved. It was indeed burnt down afterwards by accident, but rebuilt by Mr. Ibbotson, the present possessor; and has this remarkable motto: Quod nec Jovis ira, nec ignis, Nec poterit ferrum."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]