GENUKI Home page    Otley Parish Otley
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Otley:


"BAILDON, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack; 5 miles from Otley and 5 miles NNW. of Bradford, 12 from Leeds. Fairs, first Saturdays in March and November, for horned cattle, horses, &c. Pop. 2,679. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. John*, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, p.r. !113. 11s. 8d. Patron, the Vicar of Otley.

* This church is given as St. Giles in the Langdale's book:
There is a record of a place of worship at Baildon in 1200 by a charter in connection with Esholt Priory, signed by one "Alan the Priest" of Baildon. He is followed by "Thomas the Chaplain" of Baildon, who is referred to in a deed of 1252. Whilst in 1306, one "Walter de Hawkesworth" is recorded as having left a sum of money to the "Service of John in the Chapel of Baylden". This Chapel was destroyed by the Scots after the English defeat at Bannockburn. A document of 1338 refers to a collection of 600 marks of silver for the fabric of the church. It would seem that a new church arose at that time, for in 1344, references are made to "Adam de Ottelai", priest of Baildon. In the 16th Century the church was referred to as the "Baledon Chantry", and this structure lasted until 1847 when it was pulled down, and the present church was built. There is no mention anywhere of the name "St. Giles", and so must assume that Langdale, sadly got it wrong [Eddie Baxter, May 2005]"


"BRAMHOPE, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack; (Bramhope Hall, the residence of Wm. Rhodes, Esq.) 3 miles SE. of Otley, 7 from Leeds, 11 from Wetherby. Pop. 366.

Here is a donative Chapel, founded by Robert Dyneley, Esq. about the year 1649, the patronage of which is vested in six Trustees, who have power to suspend or deprive the minister." The founder was a zealous patron of the Puritan Clergy. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"BURLEY IN WHARFEDALE, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack; (Burley Hall, the seat of the Rev. T. Wilson,) 2 miles W. of Otley, 12 from Leeds, 13 from Skipton. Pop. 1,200. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. *37. 1s. Patron, Matthew Wilson, Esq. No burial ground."


"CLIFTON, in the township of Newall cum Clifton, and parish of Otley, upper division of Claro; 2 miles from Otley, 13 from Knaresborough, 13 from Skipton. Pop. included in Newhall."


"DENTON, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Claro; (Denton Park, the seat of Sir Henry Carr Ibbetson, Bart.) 5 miles NW. of Otley, 8 from Keighley, 10 from Skipton. Pop. 192. Here is a donative Chapel, value, p.r. 20. Patron, Sir Henry Carr Ibbetson, Bart." (There is further information for Denton).


"DUNKIRK, in the parish of Otley, and the wapentake of Skyrack; 7 miles NW. of Otley."


"FARNLEY, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Claro, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; (Farnley Hall, the seat of Walter Fawkes, Esq.) 2 miles N. of Otley, 10 from Ripley, 11 from Knaresborough. Pop. 172. The small antique Chapel is a perpetual curacy, under Otley, p.r. !38. Here is no Burial Ground.

Farnley Hall stands on a lofty brow, commanding noble views up and down; the vale of Wharfe, with the planted ridge of Chevin in front. Attached to the old mansion of Queen Elizabeth's time is a magnificent modern house, built by the late proprietor, soon after he became possessed of the estate. Farnley has been distinguished by the residence of its lords from the earliest times on record. These, from the origin of local surnames bore the name of de Farneley; but Falcasius de Farneley, temp. Hen. III. had a son, who adopting the patronymick Falcasii, or in his own dialect Fawkes, i.e. son of Fawkes, transmitted that appellation to his posterity. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"GREENHOLME, a part of Burley in Wharfedale, called Greenholme Cotton Factory, in the parish of Otley; this was later a Woolen Mill, and was producing until at least the late 1950s. (added by B.T. 1995.). There is more information about this house on the Burley web site."


"HAWKSWORTH, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; (Hawksworth Hall, the residence of George Carroll, Esq.) 4 miles S. of Otley, 6 from Bradford, 12 from Leeds. Pop. 323." (There is further information for Hawksworth).


"KAYLEY HALL, a farm-house in the township of Pool, and parish of Otley; 3 miles from Otley. (The modern Cayley Hall is at the same location)."


"LINDLEY, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Claro, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 4 miles from Otley, 11 from Knaresborough. Pop. 178."


"LITTLE TIMBLE, a township in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Claro, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 4 miles N. of Otley, 13 from Knaresborough, 14 from Skipton. Pop. 62"


"MENSTON, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 3 miles SW. of Otley, 9 from Keighley, 10 from Leeds. Pop. 257."


"NEWALL, in the township of Newall with Clifton, and parish of Otley, upper-division of Claro, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 1 mile from Otley, 11 from Leeds. Pop. including Clifton, 208, which being united, form a township." (There is further information for Newall).


"POOL, in the parish of Otley, upper-division of Skyrack, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 3 miles E. of Otley, 8 from Harewood, 10 from Leeds and Bradford, 11 from Ripley. Pop. 294. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !71. 17s. Patron, the Vicar of Otley."


"SCALEBOR, in the parish of Otley wapentake of Skyrack; 3 miles W. of Otley."


"SWINSTY HALL, a farm-house in the township of Little Timble, and parish of Otley; 6 miles from Otley."


"UPPER DENTON, a hamlet in the township of Denton, and parish of Otley, Upper division of Claro; 6 miles from Otley, 10 from Skipton. (The grid reference given is for High Denton)."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014