Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: OWSTON.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 2,560 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U.D. -Population, 473 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £93. -This Church was an ancient Rectory belonging to the patronage of the Veseys, Knights, and so to the Hamertons, and from them to the King, from whom it came to John, Duke of Lancaster, who gave it to the Abbey of Welbeck, to which it was appropriated by Pope Boniface IX., and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1418.

Patron and impropriator, Philip Davis Cooke, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £26. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £7. 0s. 1d. Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.

The impropriator is charged with the annual payment of 3s. 4d. to the poor of the parish.

There were three Chantries in this Church.

Inclosure Acts were passed 33rd Geo. II. and 41st Geo. III. (Skellow.)

For the monuments, inscriptions, and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

There is a beautiful monument by Chantry, to the memory of Frances, wife of Bryan Cooke, Esq.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1683.

Charities:
William Adams's charity. Rent-charge of 20s. per annum. 13s. 4d. per annum to the poor of Owstone, and 6s. 8d. to the poor of Skellow.

Cartwright's, alias Vicars's charity. A pension of 13s. 4d. is paid to a poor person of Owston, and a like pension to a poor person of Skellow. -Vide 18th Report, page 598.

Post town: Doncaster.


References:
Torre's MS. page 975. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 211. Nonae Roll, page 221. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 876. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 477.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Owstone 292, and Skellow 181. In 1834, the Population was returned at 447.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.