Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PANNAL.     Church dedication: ST. ROBERT OF KNARESBOROUGH.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 4,520 acres. Claro wapentake, L.D. -Population, 1,261 *2; Church-room, 280 *3 ; Net value, £235. -This Church was appropriated to the Priory of Knaresborough, 19th May 1348, having come to Edmund Earl of Cornwall in exchange for the manor of Roucliffe, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 19th May, A.D. 1348.

There was a chantry in this Church.

Patron, the Rev. R. B. Hunter ; impropriators, W. Bentley, Esquire, and others.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; and the Vicarage, in the King's books, at £5. 5s. per annum.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 164, 5s. is said to be due out of the impropriator's tithes. There was then no Minister there.

Augmented, in 1716, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £323 from Mr. John Wescoe and Mr.William Maunby.

There is no glebe house.

In the Notitia Parochialis, No. 892, is the following curious entry " Tithes are holden from the Church, but whether impropriated is doubted and questioned by ancient men in the parish. They are holden by Richard and John Hill, of Shadwell, near London. The Church hath no part of tithe, but is reported to have had a Vicarage close and house, which close goes still by the name of Vicarage close, and the house was sold by the farmers of the tithes in 1654, or thereabouts. Augmented £3 per annum by Mr. Thomas Hill, and 30s. per annum by William Kent. Total value, about £20 per annum. Tithes were paid before the late times of confusion. John Wright, Vic."

16th February 1822, faculty to alter the situation of the pulpit, and erect new seats.

A brief was granted in 1771 for this Church.

Torre gives a close catalogue of the Vicars to 1535.

The Register Books commence in 1586. There is a chasm from 1672 to 1687.

Charities:
John Moon's gift, in 1711. 5s. per annum.

John Clarke's gift, by will, dated 23rd August 1746. 5s. per annum, paid by the Vicar.

Richard Wright's gift, by will, dated 5th June 1813. £3 per annum in provisions or clothes, and £1 per annum for teaching poor children to read the Scriptures. -Vide 4th Report, page 431.

Post town: Knaresborough.


References:
Torre's MS., page 201. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 80. 342.


Notes:
*1 Anciently called Rosehurst.

*2 The township of Swindon is partly in the parish of Pannall, and partly in the parish of Kirkby Overblows. Part of Low Harrogate is likewise in Pannall parish.

*3 Estimated at 400 in 1818.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.