Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: DENBY.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.

Area, vide Penistone. Staincross wapentake. -Population, 1,295 *1, vide Penistone ; Chapel-room, 300; Net value, £98. -Built in 1627, and 12th December in that year, the Archbishop granted a licence to perform divine service therein, but it does not appear ever to have been consecrated.

Patron, the Vicar of Penistone, though the people have claimed the right of election.

Valued in 1707 at £32. 7s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 412, it is stated to be "Three miles from Penistone, and a quarter of a mile from Gunthwaite Chapel; without minister or maintenance. We think fit in regard of their nearness to annex them, and have them made one parish, and all Cumberworth; both that part of the town in the parish of Silkstone, as also that part in the parish of Kirkburton, to be annexed to that new parish, so as we conceive it fit that all Gunthwaite, Denby, and whole Cumberworth be made a parish of itself, and Denby Chapel to be the parish church;" -and in 1818, at £50 per annum.

Augmented in 1739 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Jonathan Perkins; and in 1816, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

For catalogue of Curates, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

6th April 1819, faculty to alter and enlarge the chapel.

No glebe house.

No Register Books are kept in this Chapel, and marriages are not celebrated therein.

Charity:
Francis Burdett's charity, by will, dated 13th August 1731. Rent of cottage, with a barn and appurtenances, and about tett acres of land.

Half the rent to a schoolmaster for teaching twelve free scholars, and the other half to such poor widows and widowers, and poor children, as might stand in need and not have common pay. The trustees at the time of the Report had reduced the number of free scholars to six. -Vide 17th Report, page 754.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 275. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 350.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,766.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.