Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PENISTONE.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 21,580 acres. Staincross wapentake. -Population, 5,201 *1; Church-room, 800; Net value, £147. -The Church was founded after the Conquest, and the parish appears to have been taken out of Silkstone.

This was a Rectory of medieties, one belonging to the De Burghs, and the other to John de Rupibus, and consolidated 15 Kal. March 1232; and subsequently given by the Burghs to the Chapel of St. Stephen's, Westminster, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 7th June 1413.

Patron, Lord Macdonald.

Impropriator, the Hospital of Sheffield.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £53. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £16. 14s. 2d.; Synodals and Procurations 12s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 410, at £22 per annum.

" The whole of the tithes are impropriate to the Duke of Norfolk, who pays the Vicar thereout £16 per annum. There is a small glebe, formerly reckoned at £8 per annum. There have been some augmentations made by charitable persons, and some more are about to be settled; but what the whole of them will be, I cannot yet give account of, because some things are not yet settled nor paid, though by will left." Signed " E. H." Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,215.

There were unreported decrees in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 31st Elizabeth, and in Easter Term, 37th Elizabeth.

Inclosure Acts were passed 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Inburchworth) ; 50th Geo. III. (Hunshelf) ; 51st Geo. III. (Langsett) ; 52nd Geo. III. (Thurlstone) ; 58th Geo. III. (Oxpring); 59th Geo. III. and the let Geo. IV. (Langsett.)

For the inscriptions and catalogue of Rectors and Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

The parish is in the Diocese of York, but wills of persons dying at Swindon are also proved in the Honour Court of Knaresborough.

8th October 1747, faculty to erect a gallery.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1644, but entries of marriages are defective from 1740 to 1745, and also from 1786 to 1812. -Vide Transcripts at York.

Charities:
Free Grammar School. An ancient foundation, and described as such in a decree under a commission of pious uses, made in the 1st Jac. I. The endowment consists of 27a. 3r. 32p. of land, let at the time of the Report for £81. 14s. 6d. per annum, and rents-charge of £6. 4s. 4d. per annum, and two-fifths of the clear rents of Wordsworth's charity, then £22. 13s. per annum. Until a short time previous to the Report, the charity had been maintained as a free grammar school, for the sons of persons residing in, and lawful inhabitants of, the parish of Penistone, by masters properly qualified to teach boys in the rudiments of a classical education, but at that time it only subsisted as a school for teaching reading, writing, and accounts.

Samuel Wordsworth's charity, by will, dated 9th March 1703. Endowment, 50a. 3r. 23p., let at the time of the Report for £118. 10s. per annum. One-fifth of the rents is applicable to the use of the most poor aged and infirm inhabitants of the parish, not being common beggars; two-fifths to the Vicar, provided he preach every Lord's day, forenoon and after, in the parish church, and also preach a sermon on the 24th of June ; and the other two-fifths are to be paid to the master and usher of the free grammar school, provided they teach their scholars the Assembly's Catechism, but if they neglect so to do, then such shares to be bestowed on the Vicar.

Free School for Girls, founded by Joseph Cain, Esq. by deed, dated 12th September 1821. Endowment, £420 new four per cents. About 120 girls are taught reading, sewing, and knitting. 1s. is paid on entrance, which is the only charge.

Josias Wordsworth's charity, by will, dated 12th April 1732. Interest of £200 for teaching poor girls to read and work. Now paid to the mistress of the National School, for teaching twenty free scholars.

Turton's, in 1559. Rent-charge of one quarter of rye, to be distributed yearly on Good Friday.

Edward Booth's. Rent charge of £1. 6s. 8d. to be distributed at Easter.

William Rich's, by will, dated 29th October 1673. Rent-charge of £1 a year to the poor of the parish.

The above Doles are distributed among poor persons not receiving parochial relief.

TOWNSHIP OF PENISTONE.

Sir Thurston Bycliffe and Alderman Micklethwaite, gave to the poor of the township £20. The sum of £1 a year, interest of this gift, is paid as a rentcharge.

John Wordsworth's rent-charge. 3s. a year, to be divided among six poor widows.

The poor's cottages. The sum of £10 given by Francis Burdett, £10 by William Sotwell, and £5 by Joanna Swift, were laid out in the purchase and repairs of three cottages, and the rents received are distributed among poor people not receiving parochial relief.

Payment by trustees of Lord Shrewsbury's Hospital at Sheffield. 6s. 8d. per annum for repairing of the church windows; 6s. 8d. per annum to the poor; (which appears to be the 6s. 8d. per annum directed by the endowment to be paid to the poor of the parish by the impropriator ; and 3s. 4d. per annum, in bread and ale upon Thursday before Easter day, in the Chancel of the Church, to the poor. -Vide 17th Report, page 751.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Torre's MS. page 1,057. Bodleian MS. No. 5,101. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 274. Nonae Roll, page 224. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 333.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Denby, 1,295; Gunthwaite, 99; Hunshelf, 531; Inburchworth, 371; Langsett, 320; Oxpring, 283 ; Penietone, 703 ; and Thurlstone, 1,599. In 1834, the Population was returned at 5,204.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.