Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for PENISTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

PENISTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"PENISTONE, is a small market town and township, in the parish of its name, and wapentake of Staincross, West Riding, 177 miles from London, 15 s. from Wakefield, 13 s.e. from Huddersfield, the like distance n.w. from Sheffield, and 8 s.w. from Barnsley ; situated on the southern bank of the river Don. Woollen cloth is manufactured here, but not to much extent ; and the general trade of the place is of a very confined nature. A quarry, near the town, the property of Mr. Brown, produces stone of a very superior quality, which is sent to London and other parts of the kingdom. The land around here is fertile, and from some parts of the parish the views are very pleasing. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. John ; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Lord Macdonald, and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Martin Naylor, whose curate is the Rev. Samuel Sunderland. The other places of worship are, for calvinists, Wesleyan methodists, and the society of friends. Here are two schools, one for boys, with an endowment of 120. per annum ; the other for girls, endowed with 40. a year. In this parish was born the celebrated blind mathematician, Dr. Nicholas Sanderson, who, although deprived of sight in his infancy, became a profound scholar and perfect master of the dead languages. The market is on Thursday, principally for cattle. The parish contained in 1821, 5,042 inhabitants, and in 1831, 5,201, of which last number 703 were returned for the township."


"DENBY, is a chapelry, containing the two small villages of High and Low Denby, about half a mile distant from each other, in the parish of Penistone, 3.5 miles n. from that town. A chapel of ease under Penistone, and a school with a small endowment, are in the chapelry: the living is in the gift of the Vicar of Penistone, and the present incumbent is the Rev. Brice Bronwin. Population in 1831, 1,295.
Please see Kirkburton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this chapelry.(under Kirkburton)"


"DENBY DALE, is a hamlet, partly in the chapelry of Denby, and partly in Cumberworth chapelry, situate about midway between the two places, and about 4.5 miles n.w. from Penistone and in the parish of Penistone. The inhabitants of the hamlet are employed in the woollen and stuff manufactures. There is a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. Two fairs are held here, one on Easter Monday, the other on the 5th of November. Population returned with Cumberworth and Denby.
Please see Kirkburton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this chapelry.(under Kirkburton)"


"HIGH FLATTS, is a neat sequestered hamlet, 3.5 miles n.w. from and in the parish of Penistone, chiefly inhabited by the society of friends, who erected a meeting house here so long since as 1697.
Please see Kirkburton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this hamlet.(under Kirkburton)"


"INGBIRCHWORTH, is a village and township, in the parish of Penistone, two miles west from that town. A Wesleyan methodist chapel, built in 1829, is here. The township contained at the last census, 371 persons."


"THURLESTONE, is a village and township, in the parish of Penistone, one mile n.w. of that town. The principal manufacture of the place is that of woollen cloth. The township contained, by the last returns, 1,599 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]